• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male wont fertilize

kribs

5 Year Member
HI
I got a pr of german blue rams and this is the second time they have spawned but the male doesnt fertilize the eggs. the temp is 84 ph is 7.0 the fish are in a bare bottom with a lot of java mosss in a 12 gallon tank with no other fish.

Ghazanfar Ghori

5 Year Member
Wild pair or store bought? With all the steriods & hormones used
at fishfarms to breed/raise and enhance colors of german blue rams,
it wouldn't surprise me if the male is sterile.

Randall

5 Year Member
Spawning Rams

Dear Kribs,

Others may think differently, but it doesn't sound to me like your ram set up is awfully condusive to a successful spawning.

Rams are bi-parental open substrate spawners that move their developing larvae into pre-dug depressions in the substrate. So adding a fine layer of substrate may help. Also, you mention that the pH is 7.0, a little high for rams, but don't mention the KH level. If the KH is too high, the calcium carbonate (CACO3) may prevent either the eggs from being fertilized, or the fertilized eggs from developing through to fruition. It could be that your male is fertilizing the eggs, but they aren't developing properly due to water chemistry. I'd recommend a KH level of 2-3 degrees of hardness.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

kribs

5 Year Member
Ghazanfar Ghori the fish were bought from David Soares they are not hormoned they are A grade fish. the blue and the red on them is really bright. I bought them when they were less than an inch.
Hi Randall
The male was not even tending the eggs it didnt even fertilize them when the female was laying them. i have other pairs that do fertilize and the eggs hatch the parameters are the same.
Thanks

S

sunnysmom

David Soares is from the Pacific NW isn't he? How can I contact him? I'd like a pair or two of his apistos.

Stacey

Randall

5 Year Member
Rams Spawning Woes

Dear Kribs,

Yes, Dave Soares deals in a quality product. I have some of his apistos myself and they are very fine indeed.

If water chemistry is not the issue, and the male simply isn't doing his job, this is a tuffy. All I can offer you in the way of some assistance are some suggestions and recommendations.

1. Could it be that your male simply isn't sexually mature? Perhaps he needs to grow up a bit before fulfilling his filial obligation.

2. Does he benefit from a varied protein rich diet? Proper nutrition plays its part in successful spawning.

3. It he sick? Even a mildly diseased fish generally won't spawn.

4. Do you have a compatible pair? Do your pair display to one another and engage in courtship behavior? Sometimes, despite our best efforts, a subject pair of fish just aren't compatible.

5. Sometimes first timers just don't get it right. The second or even third attempt may prove successful.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance to you. Hopefully, the above will help you out a bit.

Keep the faith!

Note to Stacey: Dave Soares may be contacted through the following website, http://www.apistogrammaidiots.com/.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….