• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

leaf litter

heslipst

5 Year Member
I have never used leaf litter in a tank before, but it is something that I am curious about. What sorts of leaves are typically used, and are there leaves which should be avoided for any reason?

Do some apistos respond to leafy hiding places better than others?

-Steve

MyLifeAsAFish

5 Year Member
heslipst, I'm using oak leaves in my tank. They kind of curl up and make great hiding places. If you'll look at the post titled "thanks to Neil" in this section, you'll find a link to pics of my tank with the leaves. I think it really adds that "natural" feel to the tank.

hth, Spring

farm41

5 Year Member
Oak leaves for me too. I have them in 3 tanks and also went and and collected a big bag full to last until next year.

GulfCoastAquarian

5 Year Member
Do you perform any sort of cleaning or preperation before placing the leaves in the tank? I think I'd like the look of a few oak leaves on the bottom of my planted tank. What sort of Oak? The most common down here in the deep south are Live Oaks, I think.

Neil

GulfCoastAquarian,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I usually will rinse them off before throwing them in, but I doubt that is even necessary. Anything that is living on a leaf probably will not present much problem submerged, but I figure it is better to be safe than sorry. I don't go to the trouble of briefly boiling though and have never had any problems.
Neil

Park Bear

5 Year Member
I use oak leaves, I don't do anyting special except I let them sit for about a year in my bin before I use them. That is just because I am pack rat and I can never have enough of anything.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I didn't make it out to gather up any oak leaves this year. I've just set up a 20g tank with those 'Magical' Almond leaves, Terminalia catappa. The only real drawback from them is they really stain the water. Worse than that mopani wood or peat ever have. Supposedly lowers the pH pretty good too. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if and how much.

Another thing... Ficus are from South America aren't they? I've got a couple decent sized trees as house plants and am thinking about giving them a try unless I get a strong negative vibe from more informed people.

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Those magic almond leaves also release a medecine that prevent bacterial infection too. The product"Melafix" by AP is made from extracts of these leaves, by the way. :)

Phil

Neil

Ken,
It seems to me that I remember something negetive about ficus leaves that would cause a problem in a closed system (aquarium), but not in an open one (wild). Unfortunatly I can't recall what. Research this more before you do it!
Neil

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
very interesting this thread.

the only one problem is found the Leaves :)

Oak leaves ok , but other is something else.
even for oak , we have to wait spring or summer to fid them :roll:

aspen

5 Year Member
wait for fall... they are more easily 'found'. don't hurt yourself raking leaves out of the trees.

pine needles are acidic aren't they? anyone try these? maybe the gum is too harsh?

rick

Neil

You know Rick, that is a very interesting idea. I know that pine or beefwood needles are very acidic. I wonder if they would safely perform the same purpose as oak,etc. leaves!? However, they wouldn't be as good for the duel purpose of cover and for breeding surfaces.
Neil

farm41

5 Year Member
I know what my boys and I are doing this fall, collecting oak leaves and shipping them all over. We throw away truckloads of them.

Psilocybin

5 Year Member
about the acidic pine needles...

Couldn't you simply add the pine needles to the filter? that way they wont decompose on the bottom of the tank, and look bad. If so, I have more access to pine needles tahn oak leaves at this time of the year.

farm41

5 Year Member
Psilocybin,

the parks in Corvallis are full of oak trees, and so is the whole countryside around the area, should be real easy to get more than you could ever use.

I have a bag full, I will give you a small sack if you can't find any.

B

Beefeater

oak leafs in Montreal area

does anyone can tell me where can I find any oak leafs in Montreal area?
and what does it look like?

thank you.

Beefeater

R

Reine Louve

Oaks are fairly uncommon here, does anyone know if Big Leaf Maple leaves could be used instead? These are readily available pretty much always here. If so would they make the p.h more acidic?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….