• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ivanacara bimaculata

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Do you see any of these symptoms?
White stringy feces? Bloated? Loss of appetite?
Hey MacZ
That would be 3x no. They all look, act, poop and eat normal.

Maybe add some salt to the water? That was an old school remedy for some wounds you weren't sure of...
Thanks.
Yeah! I thought of that too.

Do this in a separate tank if you have plants. Soft water plants and sodium (Na) really don't get on.
That’ll be the plan aswell.

Thank you so much all three. Now i can hopefully sleep like a baby again.
I’ll continue with water changes and decide if i should give them a salt bath.

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
A little over a week ago i recieved some females from a very kind man from sweden.
The female in both tanks have been guarding eggs, infact one of them is doing so right now. So now i can only hope they become more than just eggs.
Here’s a few crappy phone pictures of the two tanks.
IMG_1473.jpeg
IMG_1472.jpeg
IMG_1471.jpeg
IMG_1470.jpeg

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
I have just spotted 6-8 free swimming fry in one of my tanks.
I hope to be able to keep them alive. I’ll try hatch some artemia. Haven’t had the best of luck doing that.

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Honestly, as vivid as the ecosystem in your tanks usually is, they will make it even without extra feeding. I'm confident in that.
Thanks a lot Sir. I really hope so.
They did look to be in fairly good shape.

-r

anewbie

Hum. In about 3 months i'll have a 40B that i can dedicate to a fish; something interesting but fearsome enough to demand the entire aquarium.... hum... what would be a good option.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hum. In about 3 months i'll have a 40B that i can dedicate to a fish; something interesting but fearsome enough to demand the entire aquarium.... hum... what would be a good option.
Haha.. Hmmm… dunno
They sure are beautiful and they don’t Seem to mind neither my n. Marginatus or c. Nattereri/nigrofasciata.
My other pair haven’t had any luck yet, though they have tried a couple of times.

-r

apisto2024

Very nice tank!

Do you ever vacuum poop out with this kinda of set up? I read somewhere you dont need to vacuum if you have a lot of rotting leaves in the tank. I wonder if theres a relationship between rotting leaves of fish poop

MacZ

Do you ever vacuum poop out with this kinda of set up? I read somewhere you dont need to vacuum if you have a lot of rotting leaves in the tank. I wonder if theres a relationship between rotting leaves of fish poop
Rotting leaf litter decomposes to a healthy layer of mulm, a healthy microbiome which handles fish waste easily. Also you keep tanks like this very lightly stocked, with very clean, soft water.

apisto2024

Rotting leaf litter decomposes to a healthy layer of mulm, a healthy microbiome which handles fish waste easily. Also you keep tanks like this very lightly stocked, with very clean, soft water.
even without plants? Thats quite interesting to know! Is there something in the decomposing leaves that handles fish waste easily? What happens if the water is hard?

MacZ

even without plants?
I would never run a tank without plants. But I have no trouble growing plants on top/out of the tank and keeping no plants underwater. Plants are an essential part of this kind of setup.

Is there something in the decomposing leaves that handles fish waste easily?
Brown leaves have little nutrients. The microbes that break them down are very efficient.

What happens if the water is hard?
If you're lucky: nothing. If you're not: cyano bacteria, fouling pockets, trouble with nitrogen compounds... It's part of the trick of plants as a filter: If they have to deal with little nutrients and minerals they are more efficient taking that out of the water.
And that in turn is positive for the fish, which do better in that water, because the conditions keep pathogens at bay.

apisto2024

I would never run a tank without plants. But I have no trouble growing plants on top/out of the tank and keeping no plants underwater. Plants are an essential part of this kind of setup.

Brown leaves have little nutrients. The microbes that break them down are very efficient.

If you're lucky: nothing. If you're not: cyano bacteria, fouling pockets, trouble with nitrogen compounds... It's part of the trick of plants as a filter: If they have to deal with little nutrients and minerals they are more efficient taking that out of the water.
And that in turn is positive for the fish, which do better in that water, because the conditions keep pathogens at bay.
Thank you! Very enlightening! Especially the poop part. Didnt know that and have always wondered why so many dwarf cichlid tanks look like they havent seen a tank vacuum in ages (which admittedly looks waaaay better than a sterile looking tank!

MacZ

than a sterile looking tank!
A visibly clean tank is a dead tank. BUT: Hygiene is still an important part. Waterchanges, addition of humic substances, the mulm layer is purposefully fed with more leaves, you need lots of plants that either grow out of the tank or can be removed easily like floating plants (a combination is best) and the tank has to season over time. So the longer the tank runs the more stable and easy to maintain. Mine is at the point I only have to add RO daily, to replace evaporation, no bigger waterchanges... But it took about 2 years.

photo_2024-01-25_09-56-23.jpg photo_2024-01-24_20-28-27.jpg

But we should not hijack Rasmus' thread. And it's late. So much for now.

Last edited:

apisto2024

A visibly clean tank is a dead tank. BUT: Hygiene is still an important part. Waterchanges, addition of humic substances, the mulm layer is purposefully fed with more leaves, you need lots of plants that either grow out of the tank or can be removed easily like floating plants (a combination is best) and the tank has to season over time. So the longer the tank runs the more stable and easy to maintain. Mine is at the point I only have to add RO daily, to replace evaporation, no bigger waterchanges... But it took about 2 years.

View attachment 14236 View attachment 14238

But we should not hijack Rasmus' thread. And it's late. So much for now.
I agree! I like these mulmy looking tanks way better! Trying to get my tank to look like this.

Most of California has hard water. In some place it is over 300 PPM. I wonder if adding plants will make the water softer? Also are those plants Hydrocotele sp? I tried growing them (and Bacopa monnieri, both emersed) but they kept on dying on and I just eventually gave up on plants - if I cant keep super hardy plants like Hydrocotele or B. monnieri alive, no chance with the more delicate species.

Do you know of any emersed plants that might survive with a polycarbonate lid on the tank? I know frogbits/watter lettuce will die from the high humidty

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….