• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ivanacara bimaculata

rasmusW

5 Year Member
hi all!

i thought it was about time to show my i. bimaculata..
i'm doing it in this thread so i don't hijack feetPixels thread more than necessary.
tomorrow i'll pick up two more, which i very much hope is both females. i don't want five males...

they are absolutely beautiful fish. still a bit skitish, when i approach the tank. but it's getting better.
it's not the best pictures, but what i can manage at the moment.

i'm also working on setting up my next 155 liter, but theres still some work to be done before i can show any of that.
IMG_6188[1] copy.jpg
IMG_6185[1] copy.jpg
IMG_6152[1] copy.jpg
IMG_6147[1] copy.jpg

-r

Fayej

5 Year Member
hi all!

i thought it was about time to show my i. bimaculata..
i'm doing it in this thread so i don't hijack feetPixels thread more than necessary.
tomorrow i'll pick up two more, which i very much hope is both females. i don't want five males...

they are absolutely beautiful fish. still a bit skitish, when i approach the tank. but it's getting better.
it's not the best pictures, but what i can manage at the moment.

i'm also working on setting up my next 155 liter, but theres still some work to be done before i can show any of that.
View attachment 13180View attachment 13181View attachment 13182View attachment 13183

-r
Where are you purchasing your fish? I am looking for this same fish...

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all!

I think (with big emphasis on think) that the last two fish i got is a male and a female. They are a bit smaller than the others, so i imagine they are from a later batch or just smaller…
They are in a seperate tank untill i get the other 155 liter up and running.
Question is, if i infact do have a female, should i then try to pair her with the alpha male of the established tank or keep the two as is?
And then figure out what to do with three males. I would be more than happy to have two tanks with these beauties, but at the other hand it also feels a bit waste of space with the three males.
I haven’t decided on anything and will not untill i am more sure of my assumptions.

Any thoughts are more than welcome.

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all!

Today, i carried in my new tank (wife helped me do the lifting). The stand is done. Now the wood needs to get waterlogged and i need some Dark Brown or black cardboard for the backwall, then i can start to really “move in”..
-but i couldn’t help playing a bit with decor.
So here is my plan so far.
pump and heater is going to be placed in the right back side.
As for plants, I think i’ll add my cyperus helferi and nymphea lotus. Though not biotope correct. Most of the helferi’s will cover the hardware..
IMG_1409.jpeg

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all!

Does anyone know if females show the black spot at the center of middle band more often than males, or is that more of a mood thing?

-r

anewbie

Oh my - i'm not sure the lady will like us looking at her ass. At least we now have a good excuse.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all!

Here is a picture of the fish i really really hope is a female, though i am starting to doubt it.
edit: it's around 4,5-5 cm tl.
it doesn't show the white patch around the anus, atleast none that i can see, but maybe i need to "learn what to look for"...

it's certainly not the best pictures ( a bit blurry).
i put it in a small breeding box to take the pictures and wanted to be quick about it so i hopefully didn't stress it too much.
what is your verdict? male or female.
IMG_6201[1] copy.jpg

-r

Last edited:

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Yeah! Really crossing fins and fingers aswell.
Thanks again for helping out.

-r

Fayej

5 Year Member
Hi all!

I think (with big emphasis on think) that the last two fish i got is a male and a female. They are a bit smaller than the others, so i imagine they are from a later batch or just smaller…
They are in a seperate tank untill i get the other 155 liter up and running.
Question is, if i infact do have a female, should i then try to pair her with the alpha male of the established tank or keep the two as is?
And then figure out what to do with three males. I would be more than happy to have two tanks with these beauties, but at the other hand it also feels a bit waste of space with the three males.
I haven’t decided on anything and will not untill i am more sure of my assumptions.

Any thoughts are more than welcome.

-r
Let her select...jmo

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Let her select...jmo
It was a male too…

Yesterday, i spotted what seems to be the alpha male with some kind of white spot in one corner of his mouth. I think and hope its a wound and it will heal again. To be on the safe side i netted him out and gave him a small tub for himself. I don’t want to risk any disease spreading.
He eats as normal, nothing odd in his swimming pattern or general behavior. -so no alerts come to mind there.
Water is 25c. Sorry, i haven’t got any other readings.

Here is a few pictures of him. Its the lump on fishmouth left side (-sorry, for the phone quality).

Any thoughts are welcome.

IMG_1435.jpeg
IMG_1434.jpeg
IMG_1433.jpeg
IMG_1430.jpeg
IMG_1431.jpeg
IMG_1432.jpeg

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hey again!

I’m starting to get a bit worried if this is “Hole in the head” disease.
The two biggest males has this. First i thought it was just because the two of them where fighting and chasing each other, but now i fearing the worst.
I will do daily waterchanges and up the temperature a bit.
Here is a couple of pictures of the two.
Sorry for the phone quality.
IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1445.jpeg

Any thoughts?

-r

Fayej

5 Year Member
Maybe add some salt to the water? That was an old school remedy for some wounds you weren't sure of...

MacZ

I’m starting to get a bit worried if this is “Hole in the head” disease.
Doubt it.
Do you see any of these symptoms?
White stringy feces? Bloated? Loss of appetite?

I will do daily waterchanges and up the temperature a bit.
Waterchanges: Good!
Temperature: You're trying to prevent a bacterial infection from spreading if it is one, so LOWER the temp!
(In case it's Hexamita/Spironucleus the same applies. Monocellular parasites love warm temperatures. Exception is Ichthyophthirius multifillis.)

If you want to be sure get a med against Hexamita and similar parasites to have at hand and keep an eye on it.

I personally think it's a fleshwound on both males.

Salt can be helpful but only in a hospital tank or as a bath.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….