• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ivanacara bimaculata

rasmusW

5 Year Member
time for a small update...
today i got first glimpses of my pairs 3rd batch of new kids on the block... i have just caught the last ones of their previous spawn which is now at 3-3,5cm length. and is housed in the teenage tank.
this newest batch looks to be even bigger than the previous one (30 fry).
-and here's the pictures.
IMG_6239_2.png
IMG_6240_2.png
and here is a few, not so good pictures of the older fry.
IMG_6252_2.png
IMG_6248_2.png
IMG_6246_2.png

-r

anewbie

What temp and water condition are you keeping them? Also are you usa based? I've got a 65 (48 long 16 wide) and i'm getting 3 from tangle. The literature isn't clear esp around temp.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
the temperature is 25-26c., i use rain water and besides that i don't know.
i live across the pond in denmark.

-r

anewbie

the temperature is 25-26c., i use rain water and besides that i don't know.
i live across the pond in denmark.

-r
That's what i was looking for - i had read 81 but 77 is easier on everything so i will lower the tank. converting to metric the tank is 122 cm x 40cm (foot print) and ~246 liter.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
That's what i was looking for - i had read 81 but 77 is easier on everything so i will lower the tank. converting to metric the tank is 122 cm x 40cm (foot print) and ~246 liter.
that should be a good size. i was recommended only one pair for my 155 liter, so your tank should be fine for a trio, though i'm not sure how it works fish wise if you got 2 females. they seem to both be on parental duty.
ohh! ph should as far as i know be 5,5 or lower to get them to spawn, so i guess mine is that.

-r

anewbie

that should be a good size. i was recommended only one pair for my 155 liter, so your tank should be fine for a trio, though i'm not sure how it works fish wise if you got 2 females. they seem to both be on parental duty.
ohh! ph should as far as i know be 5,5 or lower to get them to spawn, so i guess mine is that.

-r
My ph will settle somewhere between 5.5 and 5.8; this is just three young fishes; i expect the species to be pair bonding so the third one out will be moved or whatever - will cross that bridge when it happens. I'm actually putting in 5 (2 others from another source). I've been told that 2 pairs should work but not sure.
-
I have 5 krobia in a 120 (2 pairs and an odd one out) and they breed every 2 weeks but the tank is relatively tranquile - i.,e the parents viciously guard the frys but as long as everyone stays a little bit away all is well (there are also 10 angles in the there).
-
I don't know that bimaculata will behave like the krobia but from what little information i could find it seems likely.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Good luck with them. They are absolutely fantastic fish to follow.
Uhh! Just an idea, not sure if it will help in any way. Dim the light either with floaters or in any other way. Also put something dark on the backwall. Should help the fish feel more secure.

If you get them to spawn, it will happen regulary. I lost one spawn because all my 2nd batch fry was still in the tank with the parents.
I did have another pair in my other 155 liter tank. No fry there, though they did their best (-actually tried with two different females). They dug a lot of pits in the sand etc.

-r

Last edited:

anewbie

Good luck with them. They are absolutely fantastic fish to follow.
Uhh! Just an idea, not sure if it will help in any way. Dim the light either with floaters or in any other way. Also put something dark on the backwall. Should help the fish feel more secure.

If you get them to spawn, it will happen regulary. I lost one spawn because all my 2nd batch fry was still in the tank with the parents.
I did have another pair in my other 155 liter tank. No fry there, though they did their best (-actually tried with two different females). They dug a lot of pits in the sand etc.

-r
Will update - your thread if that is ok with you but it will likely be in about 6 to 12 months; however long it takes them to mature. The tank right now is very dark due to tannis but i hope to lighten it a bit. I'll make sure the frogbit get established My discus tank (wc discus); is not blackwater but the ph hangs around 5.5; the blue rams (wc) seem to be thriving in there @ 84 - much better than the ones i put in my other aquarium @80 and ec 120 (i can only guess ph is around 7 in that one but i don't have a ph monitor on it). I have a special love for wc blue rams but am also surprise how quickly the discus have settled in. I've only had them for around 2 months but they have really settled down. Of course i really won't know how well they are doing till a year or two from now as these things take time to mature.
-
Changing topics completely my festivum are incredibly moody - frequently display very aggressive colours and i start looking to see if there is a pair but it seems like from time to time they just want a little space (they are 3 years old; but no pair has seemed to form).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….