• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this A.Black Chin?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't say for certain what species this is. There aren't enough visible diagonstic features to make a positive ID. Photos of the females would be useful. That being said, I believe that the lips are too thin and the black throat patch too small to be A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin. Black-chin has orange/red lips. Although your photos are overly blue, I don't see orange lips. Looking at the fish - from what I see in the photos - they could be either A. cacatuoides or A. juruensis. The difference is that A. juruensis always shows a caudal spot that is completely separate from the lateral band. I'm not certain that I see this in your photos. Right now my gut feeling is that the fish belong to the gray color morph of A. cacatuoides.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The lateral band is not entirely separated from the caudal spot. This indicates that the fish is most likely A. cacatuoides. Still, I am not positive. It could be the true A. juruensis. When the female is in brood dress A. juruensis does not show a black chin marking, while A. cacatuoides show a small patch, and Black-chin a very large patch. Under what name were they sold?

kross

5 Year Member
Mike, they are sold as A.Juruensis.... but i just found out, yet again, they are A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin. :lol: argh...true A.Juruensis is so hard to come by here.... :x nevertheless, this A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin has got a few rays of red dorsal fins that i like. :)

those first 2 photos taken was when i just introduced the male to my tank.... could it be the stress that is causing it to be blue? :? (hmm...wish the blue would stay! :( ) on the following day, the male's yellow became intense....i guess he became accustomed to the water condition. that was when the black patch became obvious!

I will shoot another photo of the male....now. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….