• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID possible Apistogramma sp. rotpunkt WC?

bizfromqc

I was hoping the gurus could help me confirm and/or identify this pair of apistos I got at our club's yearly auction last week-end.

They were labeled Apistogramma sp. rotpunkt and when I spoke to the seller later on, she mentioned that she got them from a batch of wild caught "assorted apistogramma" from a LFS in Montreal, QC, Canada.

They are extremely elusive so the pictures are not that great but here's what I was able to get. Picture of what I think is a male was taken with the flash and other one withougt flash.

Bigger one is about (hard to tell) 2" and smaller one <1.5". I hope you guys can help me out here in providing a bit more details about them so that I can provide good care for the (hopefully) pair.

Smaller fish
index.php

Bigger fish
index.php

Thanks for all your help.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, they are Rotpunkt. A more accurate name would be A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt). They are not the true holotype or paratype form, but the form that has been in the hobby for about 40 years. It is a great beginner's fish. They can adapt to almost any water conditions. The females are excellent parents.

bizfromqc

Thank you for the info.

They are not the true holotype or paratype form, but the form that has been in the hobby for about 40 years.

Does that mean they were probably tank raised or just another "type" of A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt) and not a true A106, A107, A108?

Thanks again

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your fish are A106 the original Rotpunkt in the hobby. There are several color morph known in the wild. A107 is the paratype form of A. alacrina - which I (and some other 'experts') believe is different from the holotype form. A 108 is another form/population/species in the alacrina-group. In many respects - but not all - it is similar to the holotype form of A. alacrina. Your Rotpunkt form could be domestic or wildcaught. Both are available in the hobby.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….