• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID help Please

Hack022

5 Year Member
Appreciate any help I can get,

Sold as Apistogramma Bitaeniata shishita Male,

These are likely juvies as when purchased the male showed very little color in the tail, now you can see the half circle of orange

The are WC's from Peru (according to the owner of the store)

IMG_1587.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1589.jpg

Sold as Apisto Morado (first pic male, 2nd female)
Sorry but this guy isn't coming out that much will try to get a better pic
IMG_1599.jpg
[/IMG]
(she's shy so this is as close a pic as I've been able to get)
IMG_1603.jpg
[/IMG]

Sold as Apisto diamante (female) likely a Juvie

Again WC from Peru

IMG_1593.jpg
[/IMG]

Sold as Apisto Dimante Male, likely a young adult, WC from peru

IMG_1598.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1601.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1604.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are the morado and dimante males torether

IMG_1607.jpg
[/IMG]

I"m new to apistos but found a great LFS that brings in apistos on a regular basis, and now I'm hooked. The Morado/Diamante pairs are in a community tank with bolivan rams, while the Shista (I think these are baenschi pair) are in a 10g for my first breeding attempt.

Appreciate the help and any advice.

Thanks,

Tony

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Right then, they may be good on getting fish in but their ID is terrible:

First 2 images (A. bitaeniata 'Shishita') > Apistogramma baenschi (would like to see the dorsal fin raised to check the extensions).

Next 2 images (A. sp. Morado male & female) > Apistogramma eremnopyge (haven't got my books here to check if the female is also A. eremnopyge), damaged dorsal fin on the male that is unlikely to recover to full fin again.

Next image (young A. sp. Diamante female) > more reminiscent of a young A. cacatuoides (diamante is used as a trade name for A. eremnopyge).

Next 3 images (A. sp. Diamante male) > Apistogramma bitaeniata male

Last image > A. bitaeniata and A. eremnopyge males (you can see the damage to the dorsal fin of the A. eremnopyge clearly here).

I've gone with the ID of A. eremnopyge (had originally thought A. trifasciata), however as the name Diamante was used by the shop it seems reasonable to suspect that in the tanks somewhere was this species, that combined with the pattern in the caudal fin (don't think I've seen this in A. trifasciata before), what I will say though was that when I kept A. eremnopyge my fish where much bulkier and not as slender as your images suggest.

Andrew

Hack022

5 Year Member
Thank you Andrew appreciate the help.

I'll see if I can get some pictures with the fins flaring on the baenschi, to confirm and some better shots of the eremnopyge.

The LFS help isn't very good with Apistos but they are trying to learn as apparently the owner is looking to move more towards SA/CA and some less common africans.

Off to do some research on breeding a baenschi, any tips?

Thanks,

Tony

Ruki

5 Year Member
Pictures:
1,2- A. baenschi male
3- A. eremnopyge male
4- A. eremnopyge female
5- A. cacatuoides female
6, 7, 8- A. bitaeniata male
9- A. eremnopyge male and behind him A. bitaeniata male

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It seems like your dealer has mixed up the species:

1, 2: If the male doesn't have high dorsal spines, then it looks much like A. sp. "Nijsseni-New".

3 - 5: A. eremnopyge - commercially sold as A. sp. Diamante

6 - 8: A. bitaeniata

9: ? - photo out of focus

Hack022

5 Year Member
Happy new year all,

Got a few better pictures of the male over the holidays.

IMG_1651.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1667.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1645.jpg
[/IMG]

I think this is A baenschi but would appreciate you input.

Thanks again

Tony

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….