• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with i.d

odenG59

Hey guys new to the forum, was sold this apparent pair of what was labeled as viejita was wondering if they are and if it is a pair? Thanks so much if you can help :)

Attachments

• 20230827_135226.jpg
    20230827_135226.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • 20230827_155828.jpg
    20230827_155828.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70

MacZ

Classic domestic A. macmasteri. A. viejita has become a tradename for those, while true A. viejita are basically unavailable in most countries.
First picture very much a male, second... I tend towards female but I can't see the points ot the dorsal and anal fins, which would confirm it. If rounded: Female. If pointy: Sneaker male.

odenG59

Hey thanks I assumed as much just by google could tell it wasnt quite what a viejita looks like, I wonder if this photos any better if not I can try to take better later. Ive noticed him almost bend his body and dance in front of the other not sure what it is hes doing

Attachments

• 20230827_135521.jpg
    20230827_135521.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 73

MacZ

Yep, it's a female.

Hope your tank is sufficiently structured, these fish don't form pairs, so if the female isn't in spawning mood she'll be chased relentlessly and when she's brooding the male is getting it. If you structured the tank well they can evade each other.

odenG59

Awesome these photos are from when I first got them about a month ago they're in a 150 litre by themselves now with plenty of room for hiding etc plants caves rocks ☺️ i did read that, also read that getting more then 1 female can be better to reduce that if correct I may look into getting him some more girlies

MacZ

As long as the lines of sight are broken, all is well. Adding more now may well fail, as the current female will have established her territory by now and newcomers might not be able to establish themselves. In order to make that work you'd have to catch the two, rearrange the tank and then add them all at once.

odenG59

As long as the lines of sight are broken, all is well. Adding more now may well fail, as the current female will have established her territory by now and newcomers might not be able to establish themselves. In order to make that work you'd have to catch the two, rearrange the tank and then add them all at once.
Thanks so much for the info & help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….