• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID confirmation please

Lilleo6

Hi, guys! I bought this apisto last few weeks. It’s sold as “A.cf.macmasteri”, but I am still confused about the real ID of it. Here are some pics of it.
Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_6336.jpeg
    IMG_6336.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6330.jpeg
    IMG_6330.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6321.jpeg
    IMG_6321.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6328.jpeg
    IMG_6328.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6333.jpeg
    IMG_6333.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6337.jpeg
    IMG_6337.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 113

MacZ

A.cf.macmasteri
This means it is a species very similar to A. macmasteri proper, but isn't A. macmasteri. These are usually not described scientifically yet, so this is the closest you can get in Terms of ID. Unless you know the catch location, then this is added as well.

And yes, this fish indeed looks closely related to A. macmasteri.

Lilleo6

Thanks, MacZ
The seller said he made two orders of A.Macmasteri. One is from Tame and the other is from Puerto Carreño.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Thanks, MacZ
The seller said he made two orders of A.Macmasteri. One is from Tame and the other is from Puerto Carreño.
I have seen similar A. cf. macmasteri with the location label "Arauca". Arauca is a department of Colombia containig the Rio Tame. On the other hand, from Puerto Carreno I only know one macmasteri-subcomplex species, A. sp. D21. And I have never seen any sepcimens of these with such intense red markings on the gill covers. So my guess would be that your fish are from Arauca/Tame.

anewbie

If that fish is wild caught it is stunning. Wonder how it will fill out as it gets older; from size it looks pretty young and not fully grown.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Doesn’t it look like d33 (-apart from the length of the dorsal anal fins)? -not sure where in Columbia it’s from, though.
Check tomC’s site.

-r

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Doesn’t it look like d33 (-apart from the length of the dorsal anal fins)? -not sure where in Columbia it’s from, though.
Check tomC’s site.

-r
Yes it might also be an exceptionally colorful specimen of D33 but the latters catch location is not inside Arauca and more than100km away from Tame and the Rio Tame with at least two other rivers in between.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Yes it might also be an exceptionally colorful specimen of D33 but the latters catch location is not inside Arauca and more than100km away from Tame and the Rio Tame with at least two other rivers in between.
Ahh! I see. Thanks for clarification.

-r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….