• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID confirmation Please

Arcadianred

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have attached a couple of pics of a fish I ordered as Uaupesi. Whilst the overall form of the fish seems to refect Uaupesi I have a couple of doubts.

The dorsal has not yet fused, occasionally there appears to be a break in the lateral line (I have seen this in some other confirmed pics of Uaupesi) and the lyrate tail has not yet developed. Could anyone confirm what I have got please (I presume it is male)?
I know the pics are a little limited but they have been a swine to get decent pictures and he seems a little reluctant to show his finnage too often. The fish didn't come into the country too well and are only just recovering I think.

Thanks

Mark

Uaupesi2.jpg

Uaupesi3.jpg

Microman

5 Year Member
Hi Mark,
These fish came into the UK recently imported by Pete Lovett from a Colombian import,these are Peters pictures.
Look anything like yours?
Now we are not 100% sure of an ID but thought they may be A sp segelflossen.
These show definate signs of Lyrate caudal and like yours first couple of spines are slightly serrated which is unlike uaupesi,segelflossen.
Would also be nice to get a definate ID on these.
Mark...
IMG_2360a_1.jpg

IMG_2367a_3.jpg

Arcadianred

5 Year Member
Hi Mark,

The fish look similar but mine seem to be slightly more laterally compressed. The shape of the face is slightly different as well. Overall I would say they are a differnt species. Mine came in from Malaysia via Singapore. The dorsal is serrated at the moment but I had this with the Putzer which eventually fused together.
I was happy that my fish were Uaupesi but there are these nagging doubts!
Hopefully you/Pete have Segelflossen and mine are Uaupesi so we can get near to completing the sailfin set:biggrin:

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think I would need better photos, when the fish were a bit older, in order to accurately identify them. They could very well be uaupesi or sp. Sailfin; might even be young sp. Breitbinden (unlikely) or if incredibly lucky sp. Içana.

Arcadianred

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

I'll try to get some better pictures tonight. Just to clarify, were your comments aimed at my picures, Mark's (Microman) or both? My fish came from Malaysia (via Singapore) and Marks were from a Columbian order. Mine don't show any yellowing around the gills at the moment. The thing that I have not seen before with my fish is that they sometimes show only the first half of their lateral line (stops midway through the body).

Thanks

Mark

Arcadianred

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

A few more pictures of my fish. I have managed to get one reasonable picture of the fish I received as a female Uaupesi (FishB1). To be honest the fish both look very similar (although the pictures don't show this) in the tank. There is very little difference in the size of the fish.When the fish arrived in the importers we weren't sure if both fish were Uaupesi and also of the sex. If you could ID both fish and their sex this would be great.

I can see where you are coming from with Brietbinden but it looks nothing like my Brietbinden male in the flesh! Having said this if you notices fish A Dorsal spines seem to have irregular spacing?

Thanks again for your help

Mark

The first four pics are of the 'male' and the last of the 'female'

FishA1.jpg

FishA2.jpg

FishA3.jpg

FishA4.jpg

FishB1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mark (Arcadianred),

Seeing your new photos, I would say that you have both sexes (bottom is a female) and that they definitely are not sp. Breitbinden. They probably are A. uaupesi, although they look very much like Mark's (Microman). I can't be certain that his are sp. Sailfin. I would need to see photos of them when older & I'd need to see photos of his fish in various emotional states to be sure (best if I saw them in the flesh for a few weeks).

Arcadianred

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the ID (again). You'll have to have a chat with Mark to arrange a loan deal for his fish to get the ID right:biggrin: Pity we are so far apart!

Cheers

Mark

Microman

5 Year Member
Not as far apart as we think at times....Theres always ways and means in this small world.
Im visiting Tom in Norway in May/June and i know that Tom is seeing Mike in October so if Mike wanted some......
Got to breed em first though.
Mark...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark12345

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(