• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help to ID female Apisto

scotth

Hi I’m just looking for help please to get confirmation if this female is a macmasteri or not. I’ve purchased a couple of males & females from different sources and this female looks quite different to the others.
Thanks

Attachments

• 28C24CF5-5B2C-43BD-88B8-AB7968A7C938.jpeg
    28C24CF5-5B2C-43BD-88B8-AB7968A7C938.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 95
  • 6A6AE3AF-7338-473E-839E-F0BD9C42CDAA.jpeg
    6A6AE3AF-7338-473E-839E-F0BD9C42CDAA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88

MacZ

What the!?
This colouration is quite new. And they bred out all distinguishing colour features.
Well, actually they bred out all features.
o_O

scotth

What the!?
This colouration is quite new. And they bred out all distinguishing colour features.
Well, actually they bred out all features.
o_O
So do you think it is a female macmasteri then ? It’s really solid yellow compared to the other female i was sold.

MacZ

So do you think it is a female macmasteri then ? It’s really solid yellow compared to the other female i was sold.
I trust Frank's expertise, I hadn't seen a fish like this before. Can't believe they bred things like this. Terrible...

scotth

This strain is known as macmasteri "Gold". Your fish looks like a female.
This strain is known as macmasteri "Gold". Your fish looks like a female.
Thanks for the info
I’ve previously kept over the years discus and various other tropical fish at different times but never had apistos and really wanted to give them a go.
I was sold the (gold Mac) female you ID’d with a standard male variant which I put into a 4ft planted tank.
I also purchased “I was told”another very young male & female Mac and a young pair of Borellii which I put in another 4 ft tank with redwood roots, leaf litter, caves and a sand bottom to grow them out before giving them their own tanks.
The males are no issue to id but these are the females I was sold which look very similar, I’m not convinced one is a borellii female ?
What’s are your thoughts please ?

Attachments

• C1B12964-CFF2-4EF7-A3BD-CACB308D6EBC.jpeg
    C1B12964-CFF2-4EF7-A3BD-CACB308D6EBC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • DE294E12-00EA-4A84-A474-CAD263051CA6.jpeg
    DE294E12-00EA-4A84-A474-CAD263051CA6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
  • 08DFFA48-2AC1-4BF4-857C-FDE02FB04097.jpeg
    08DFFA48-2AC1-4BF4-857C-FDE02FB04097.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 68

anewbie

I trust Frank's expertise, I hadn't seen a fish like this before. Can't believe they bred things like this. Terrible...
Usually the golds have a bit more gold in them and not quite so pure yellow but vaguely i think the colour gets richer as they age - while a bit of distance from wc origin they are quite common and popular in usa. I've not owned them as macs are larger fishes and not really my thing. I feel like they are a bit patterned after gold rams.

scotth

Usually the golds have a bit more gold in them and not quite so pure yellow but vaguely i think the colour gets richer as they age - while a bit of distance from wc origin they are quite common and popular in usa. I've not owned them as macs are larger fishes and not really my thing. I feel like they are a bit patterned after gold rams.
Thanks for the info it’s really helpful

MacZ

I found some on Ebay Classifieds this morning, but haven't seen this form in any store or website before. This type of breed is not very popular here, especially as they look almost like Labidochromis caeruleus "Yellow", which are THE most common and popular "yellow fish" you'll find in the freshwater hobby in Europe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….