• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how many in a 12 gallon

simplychen

Hi guys

i'm all new to this but have been reading your forums for the past couple of weeks and decided to go with a pair of viejita's
But I still cannot resist cacatouis and didn't get them in the first place because i didn't really think the tank was big enough for a 1male:3female ratio.

I have a 10 gallon tank and thought this would be appropriate size for the viejita's
I Use java moss, rock caves and a small pot.

My little brother bought 4 guppies the other tank for tank mates/breeding fish food.

can i add another cacatouis male in the tank ?

thank you all so much for your previous posts and information, wouldn't have gotten into this specie if it wasn't you guys.

mightymax1860

when i first started in apisto's I got a 55 with lots a plants and caves and went out and got atleast 10 to 12 difrent kinds of apisto's it was cool at first they where mostly males and I thought they would co exsist but some of the most dominant ones went after the weaker ones and pretty soon I saw some were not eating and needless to say it did not work. Then I went with just one pair in a tank and some dither fish and They started breeding That's when I realized that the beuty of the apisto is more in there breeding behaviors than in just looking at single males just flair up every now and then the females get a great yellow color and the big tough males become the pasive scarety cats when that female chases them away so in my opinion you should try leaving the pairs by themselves and enjoy the show the less stres the better they look. I curently have two pairs of panduro,1 pair of caucatauds triple reds 2 pairs of melgar !pair of viejita and two more pairs of borelli . all in there own tanks and half breeding the other have close to it so in other word enjoy the pair of viejita's breed them raise there young and then try onother ten with a trio of caucs when they pair of you can remove one femal or they will for you. p.s any fry you want to sell or trade take it to your local club spread the apisto charm and you can learn alot from a fish club

simplychen

thanks for that, appreciate your honest help.

i guess i'll get some experience with these little guys and see if it's viable maybe to upgrade to another 2 foot tank

cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….