• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long before breeding dance turns to action?

Mike C

5 Year Member
First off, I am new to the group. Great reading here.

I am in my first attempt to breed agasizzii and caucatoides. I have a pair of them in separate tanks with peat filtered water with pH 6.8, KH 3, GH 5. I am feeding live grindal worms and frozen brine and bloodworms. Each of the pairs have been dancing with the female wanting to go to a cave, but the males do not follow them in. This has gone on for 4 days now. Is this normal or are the males not ready yet?

Also, I read in an earlier post that the breeding caves do not need to have an entry point large enough for the male. If this is the case, then how do the eggs get fertilized if the male can't get in the cave. My male caucatoides is fully mature and is large.

Last question: what is the typical duration between egg laying by these apistos?

Any other advice is welcome. thanks, Mike

Neil

Mike C,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

First off, I am new to the group. Great reading here.

Glad you found us.

Is this normal or are the males not ready yet?

They are kind of ready when they are ready. I have been doing this for some time and I have rarely seen them actually spawning. What is happening is part of their courtship. It will probably happen very soon. But you may need to soften the water a touch for the aggies to have a successful spawn.

...how do the eggs get fertilized if the male can't get in the cave.

Yes, this is the case. The male can broadcast his milt into the cave by fanning with his fins.

what is the typical duration between egg laying by these apistos?

It varies, but usually 10 to 14 days is enough time for them to spawn again if conditions are appropriate (well fed, good water, etc.). But that depends on the species and the individual fish too.

Neil

Mike C

5 Year Member
More breeding questions

Thanks for the reply Neil. Would you suggest mostly peat filtered water than for the aggies. I can bring the pH down with it as well as the KH and GH, but I was initially afraid to do so in fear of having the pH drift too much due to minimal KH. What are your thoughts on this. Also, what do you think of conditioning with live blackworms?

Randall

5 Year Member
Peat Conditioning

Dear Mike,

A. agasizzii thrive in soft, acidic water. Given your water parameters, it may be a good idea to increase your peat mix, if you expect a successful spawning.

Live blackworms can be a controversial topic. Some scorn them, and others swear by them. My experience has been if you have a reliable source and can safely expect that the worms are parasite and bacteria free, they make an excellent conditioning food. Please rinse them for several minutes before feeding.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

farm41

5 Year Member
I have been using blackworms for years, and have had no problems with them or from them. I keep mine in a blue worm keeper and rinse daily too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….