• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi,new here & hoping to learn alot

T

The KribKeeper

Hi,new to this site.
I havnt had fish that long, i started with guppies and am now slowely changing to Cichlids.
I currently have 6 tanks
100G , 29G , 20G , 2x 10G and 5G

I have what i thought was a pair of Kribs in my 29 gallon and i think 5 males in the 20 gallon.

I have 2 questions: (sorry if im not allowed to post questions in beginners corner,i wasnt sure)

1.I had 1 Krib and my husband brought home two more and they were all about the same size but last weekend we went out and bought 4 more and for some reason they were alot smaller (maybe 3/4" long) and getting colorful.
How come the size difference? I thought Kribs got their color around 1.5".
Will they grow or is this a different breed?

2.My original Krib was very colorful and we have no idea what sex it is, the fins are sharp , the belly is red and the colors are very bright so im confused.
Anyway when we brought home the new small ones last week,our big colorful Kribensis immediately took to one of them.They swam together and our big one shakes alot in front of it,the big one even bannished all the others in the tank away from the little one and would only let that one eat ..nobody else was aloud food.
The little one looks very much like a female with the rounded fins and purple belly and all but the big one is the one doing alot of vibrating and being aggressive to everyone else,it even seems to try and heard her to where he wants her to go,and recently the big ones side stripes faded away.
So my question is:Do the males vibrate or only the female? and does anybody know why the stripe has faded?

Im sorry this is long and any help would really be appreciated,i promise i wont post this long ever again!:)

This is a pic of my male/female that vibrates at what i figure is a female,i will post a pic of the other one when i get it.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/bobbi23/8465a5d3.jpg

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Krib starte getting there colors around 8 to 10 weeks the red/pink belly isn't always a mark of the females normally with kribs a sharper pointed gill fin and a rounded dorsl fin is a sign of a female. With kribs telling the sex is pretty hard at a younger age. In the female the belly area will turn a brighter pink/red when she's coming of age so to say.
The males are more likely to out grow the females by 2 to 1 and get there colors before the females do. I have 10 kribs in a 20gal tank thats around 12 weeks old and the bigger ones are getting there red/pink bellys and some light coloring in the tail and dorsl fin.
While the belly is turning color or getting brighter this could be a sgn that the female is coming into the spawning stage. Just whatch and wait is he only thing I can tell you as far as whitch ones or females and male at there young age.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….