• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Relapse

xSparkleZ

It's officially been 10-years since I've been in the hobby and I couldn't resist the temptation of the fantastic Black Friday deals.

Researching and scouring the threads while my tank was in the process of the fishless cycle definitely brought back memories, but I definetly forgot alot more than I thought.

To that end, I apologize in advance for the questions and I hope you all will support me through my transition.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It's officially been 10-years since I've been in the hobby ......... Researching and scouring the threads while my tank was in the process of the fishless cycle definitely brought back memories,
Welcome back. A lot has changed in the last ten years.

I'm much keener of the <"Seasoned Tank Time"> concept.

If you keep a planted tank (and I definitely would) cycling doesn't really exist any more. You can just plant the tank, and wait for the plants to grow in. Once the plants are grown in, the tank is ready to have fish introduced.

The reason is that scientists have looked for the genes that code for ammonia oxidation, and have found them much more widely distributed than was suspected. They have also found COMAMMOX Nitrospira, which convert TAN (ammonia (NH3) / ammonium (NH4+)) directly to nitrate (NO3-) and these, together with Ammonia Oxidising Archaea (AOA) are the microbes actually found in aquarium filters and they are favoured by low ammonia loadings and not constrained by low carbonate hardness.

The ammonia oxidising bacteria (AOB) (Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter etc) that were thought to carry out ammonia oxidation don't actually occur in aquarium filters. Dr Tim Hovanec etc have written about this, but most of the aquarium hobby has just ignored this and just carried on "cycling", although it is actually likely to extend the time period before an appropriate microbial flora develops.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

If you keep a planted tank (and I definitely would) cycling doesn't really exist any more. You can just plant the tank, and wait for the plants to grow in. Once the plants are grown in, the tank is ready to have fish introduced.

The reason is that scientists have looked for the genes that code for ammonia oxidation, and have found them much more widely distributed than was suspected. They have also found COMAMMOX Nitrospira, which convert TAN (ammonia (NH3) / ammonium (NH4+)) directly to nitrate (NO3-) and these, together with Ammonia Oxidising Archaea (AOA) are the microbes actually found in aquarium filters and they are favoured by low ammonia loadings and not constrained by low carbonate hardness.

The ammonia oxidising bacteria (AOB) (Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter etc) that were thought to carry out ammonia oxidation don't actually occur in aquarium filters. Dr Tim Hovanec etc have written about this, but most of the aquarium hobby has just ignored this and just carried on "cycling", although it is actually likely to extend the time period before an appropriate microbial flora develops.

cheers Darrel
I just use Fritz and extra sponge filters from long established tanks. I do, however, plant heavily most of my aquariums. I just love the look! :)

It's officially been 10-years since I've been in the hobby and I couldn't resist the temptation of the fantastic Black Friday deals.

Researching and scouring the threads while my tank was in the process of the fishless cycle definitely brought back memories, but I definetly forgot alot more than I thought.

To that end, I apologize in advance for the questions and I hope you all will support me through my transition.
Welcome back! I’ve recently gotten into the Apistogramma genus for the first time. Most here seem nice and helpful! Wish you great luck!

xSparkleZ

Hi all,

cheers Darrel
It's crazy how the hobby has evolved over time.
I've bookmarked the threads and will add it to my reading list.

By the way, I really enjoyed your posts on various other threads - it really helped me out when lurking on the forums.
Thank you for the updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….