• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with Apisto ID?

Discus Man

5 Year Member
I thought that meinkeni had five split dorsal rays, pertensis had three so... my opinion is pertensis.

As for the caudal spot- I will throw a spanner in the works here. I have iniridae. One male and one female have 'false' caudal spots. I was 100% sure I had iniridae having researched like crazy...

2la

5 Year Member
Looking at it again, Discus Man, I would agree with you that it's pertensis, and I could smack myself for not noticing how long the ventral fins were. That--more so than the free spines--says to me that it's not meinkeni. It's rather high-bodied to be a pertensis, but it looks to be juvenile to sub-adult age and so will probably elongate with age. So, pertensis, and that's my final answer. :wink:

Neil

-anne-,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Well, it looks like alot of folks are learning something about pertensis group fish here, huh!?
My 2 cents are that the dorsal is wrong for meinkeni and the caudal peduncle is wrong for iniridae, so I would put my money on pertensis.

I also looked at the pics at the beginning of this thread again and let all of them load this time (dial-up impatience the first time) and would agree with the second picture as being a hongsloi. However, there are other fish that do have that red coloration on the caudal spot area.

Good thread here!

Neil

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Must be Pertensis heres what my German buddy weighed in with! :

this shows a really nice faced pertensis, may be from left hand mid rio negro
(face mask!)

Also though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
NO! Vourstripes or iniridae, can´t tell that exactly from that pic as no
decicive mood is shown.

These and Mcmasteri- viejita too--- shadow fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neil

Also though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
NO! Vourstripes or iniridae, can´t tell that exactly from that pic as no
decicive mood is shown.

These and Mcmasteri- viejita too--- shadow fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Dave! Can you give me a translation of this? I am not getting what he is saying here.

Thanks,
Neil

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well the last part is me the Mcmasteri stuff-- he means that the fisha are in too neutral a coloration to tell decisevely what they are, but he knows for sure that they are not iniridae or Four Stripes later he saw a good pic and said they are Pertensis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….