• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with Apisto ID?

C

Cyradia

I'm new to the board, so let me know if this type of post isn't appropriate. I've recently received two groups of apistos, neither of which I have a good ID on. The first group was sold to me as Moae and the second Panduros (I think we're all really sure that's not them.) I know Zman is already looking at these guys for me, but I thought I'd throw the pictures to the masses since I went to the trouble of taking them.

Thanks in advance for any guesses or information you have!

Group One

Group Two

Neil

Cyradia,
Both of these fish are cruzi-type fish and very difficult to ID, even with closer, clear pictures. I hate(well not hate, but am frustrated with) regani group fish for this reason. The first may be moae, but i doubt it. Usually moae has some feint orange color with overlying red dots behind the eye and on the chest. It looks like your fish has more of a bluish patch.
The second fish(group) is definitely not panduro. It is nothing like panduro. It is much more similar to the first fish than panduro. Again probably in the regani/eunotus/cruzi groupings.
Hope Zman has more specifics for you than i do.
Neil

mervin

5 Year Member
greetings !

group 1 - not sure....
group 2 - looks like a hongsloi

i'm sorry for not being able to be sure.....

mervin

mervin

5 Year Member
greetings !

group 1 - not sure....
group 2 - looks like a hongsloi

i'm sorry for not being able to be sure.....

mervin

2la

5 Year Member
Red caudal spot in the second fish probably means hongsloi, as mervin said. The first fish will take a wee bit more investigation... :?

C

Cyradia

I'm glad you guys can see that. It's gotten much redder and more obvious in person. They're also starting to get red coloration on their dorsal fins. I was pretty convinced it was eunotus, but if it is hongsloi, does that mean only the males will display that red dot coloration? Because if so, it looks like I have 6 males. :(

-anne-

5 Year Member
hello,
I also have an unidentified apisto
http://www.netikka.net/ilkka.korhonen/kapisto.jpg
http://www.netikka.net/ilkka.korhonen/apisto.jpg
http://www.netikka.net/ilkka.korhonen/apisto2.jpg

I thought it could be A. moae or A. meinkeni. I was also suggested that it could be A. pertensis.
The shopkeeper told me that the fish came together with Dicrossus filamentosus. In the tank of the shop the fish was mainly silver, but in my tank it developed a stripe and a stronger coloration.
Comments and guesses are welcome.

2la

5 Year Member
-anne- said:
Comments and guesses are welcome.
Definately not A. moae, which is in a different complex altogether. Too high-bodied for pertensis, anterior dorsal spines unfused and caudal spot present so it can't be iniridae, rounded tail so it can't be uaupesi. By process of elimination I think meinkeni's as good a guess as any.

mervin

5 Year Member
hi anne !

your fishes look more like a Iniridae.
b'cos i have 3 males that look exactly like your fishes.

:p

2la

5 Year Member
mervin said:
hi anne !

your fishes look more like a Iniridae.
b'cos i have 3 males that look exactly like your fishes.

:p
I guess you missed my explanation in the previous post, but that can't be iniridae. Your fish must have been mislabeled or misidentified.

2la

5 Year Member
Dave, could you kindly explain, please? Do Linke, Staeck, Mayland, and Bork (and Romer, too, possibly) all have it wrong about iniridae?

-anne-

5 Year Member
Thanks for your comments! Iniridae is the best guess so far. My fish looks like exactly the same as fishes in these pictures:
http://www.characin.com/carey/species/cichlid/apistos/a_iniridae.html
http://www.cichlidae.be/Apistogramma_iniridae.htm.

For sure, the fish belong to pertensis group. The fish has a very high dorsal fin whose anterior three membranes are free. Does that mean it cannot be iniridae? If so, then the fish must be meinkeni.
I try to take more pictures (Nicon Coolpix 4500).

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Last night it was late and I was tired, this morning looking again I think you might be right they do look like meinkeni!

Zapisto

5 Year Member
the presence of the spot on the caudal , is at my very little opinion a factor very important to ID this fish to meinkeni.

well with person like dave and other is this forum , my expertise is not so important , but i learn fast and learn again so i permit myself a judgement :)

dont be to rude with me :)

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hey stop that!!!!!!!!!! Yur opinion is important! To tell you the truth with a partner like Uwe I get lazy and just send the pics to him and he gives me the word--- as a result some of you guys who actively study these fish all the time are better at Iding them than me.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
apistodave said:
Hey stop that!!!!!!!!!! Yur opinion is important! To tell you the truth with a partner like Uwe I get lazy and just send the pics to him and he gives me the word--- as a result some of you guys who actively study these fish all the time are better at Iding them than me.
thanks dave,

i can tell you that very difficult some time.
because learn about theese fish without the fish is not so easy , result of that is we have (say we but talking for me) have to read and read agin more and more, searching pics, and lot of stuff like that.

people like you, Uwe, gary elson, randall and all the other (sorry cannot write all) are important because they can reach so many fish and take pics and write on them .
that permit us to learn :) heheh

graet

so come back to the subject ,
as 2 la say 2 things decide me to remove iniridae from the list:
- the spot on caudal
- the free fin-membranes in dorsal fins

the high body push me to say meinkeni but the partly enlarged vetral fins is not usual at all for meinkeni and is more usual for pertensis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….