• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Thailand

tajaba

Hey guys, taj here from thailand,

I recently moved here from the US and after sometime, setup a new tank. The tank is super small compared to what I used to have back in the states (150 and a 75) so I decided to find a nice fish suitable for a small tropical tank.

Anyways, I ended up with a pair of A. trifasciatas and just want to get it straight out, I have no idea what their specific needs are, only relative ideas from keeping bigger cichlids (only difference being soft-water?)
also, my tank is only 8 gallons (45 X 28 X 28) local tank, but after about a week, I feel it might actually be better for the female if I got some more females since the male absolutely will not stop bugging her, especially when she's trying to feed.

is this a good idea? or the tank too small? I will try to get a bigger tank but i doubt it would happen soon.

ps: lovely forum!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome, Taj. A. trifasciata males are well known for their rough 'eagerness' to court/breed. Yes, it would be best to have more than 1 female with each male. Sadly, your tank is too small for a trio unless it is so densely decorated that you can't see your fish. A 15/20 high (60x30cm bottom area) would be about the minimum that I would recommend for a trio.

Melanochromis

Hi Taj. It's good to see another person from Thailand. I agree with Mike that trifasciata males are quite aggressive. If he harassed the female too much, you might want to get a "breeding box" from a shop. I mean the transparent box that floats in the tank supposedly used for keeping female guppies. I use them all the time, usually to contain the aggressive male until the female is ready enough (as you will see from her behavior).

In the long term, please do get a bigger tank. It'll be worth it :)

By the way, trifasciata will be one of the three dwarf cichlid species that will have a competition in the Pramong Nomjai fair at The Mall Bangkapi at the end of March (the other two species being agassizii and ramirezi). All dwarf cichlids will compete as pairs. We'll monitor them but please make sure you send a compatible pair that won't try to kill each other in the show tank.

We already started accepting applications a few day ago and will stop as soon as we reach a certain number. You can get and submit the form at one of the shops at Chatuchak that sell apistogramma. AllFish, Atlantis, BeeSmile and Cichlids Crazy can all help you with this.

This is mostly a fun event and you'll get to meet other hobbyists and perhaps win some nice plaque to show off to your friends.

More info and any update will be posted at
http://aqua.c1ub.net/forum/index.php?board=48.0
But if you unfortunately can't read Thai, please let me know. I'll help with the translation. :)

tajaba

Another person from thailand! its a pleasure. I will definitly check out the competition event! but I doubt this year would be the year I participate. I'd like to get a line going first (used to breed bettas).

thankyou mike, I will definitly see what I can do about the tank, I did realize it was too small from the start, but I have seriously limited room on my desk. I am already looking into getting a 45X30X27 tank but its still only a 10G tank, do you think that will be enough for a trio? I don't have alot of vegetation but I did stuff the tank full of hiding places, drift wood, pots, and also some plants

will have pics up soon, stupid camera wouldn't work

again, thanks very much for the warm welcome. I'm very new to this fish and need all the help I can get

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….