• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gold cacatuoides - what is the inheritance?

mtchye

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

Here in Australia, we frequently have some gold cacatuoides available - these are not albinos. Unfortunately they are usually riddled with genetic deformities, and a good specimen is hard to find.

I found a great looking male and have crossed it with a female of the normal variety. What can i expect as far as phenotypes and genotypes of the babies from the cross??

THis is my first time spawning cacatuoides, so any tips on getting the babies to survive will be helpful. I've removed the male and they are in a bare bottom tank on their own with java moss for cover at the moment.

Thanks for any help!

tripleredcac.jpg

tripleredgoldmale.jpg

Neil

mtchye,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Hey, you are the 500th member of our "little" forum. WOW 8O :!: :!: :!:

YG cacs ("gold cacatuoides") are very prone to deformities because they are so heavily hybridized. There are some very nice ones around though. Breeding a YG male to a regular female will give you genotype fry that look mostly like red cacs (TR). Breeding these genotypes to YG, should give a certain percentage of YG fry without the heavy defect percentage.
Please read the following article for further info.

http://www.apistogramma.com/yellowgoldcockatoo.htm

Your breeding set-up and post spawn care will be similar to regular cacatuoides, so can easily be found with a search (above). For specifics, please post again.

Neil

Neil

Ghazanfar,

I havent seen this strain available too often. Anyone know where
I can get a couple of pairs from?

You need to be a touch careful where you get these fish from because of the problems that mtchye has mentioned. I currently have some of Mike's (the author of that article) stock, as well as some that I have produced from them. PM me for more info.
Neil

mtchye

5 Year Member
golds

Hi Neil,

So you have further generations of these fish since that article? How have the deformities progressed? Were they less in the later generations?

I wanted to ask also the original fish, its not clear whether they had deformities originally or they were perfect and produced deformed young?

Just want to know what i can expect, the normal mum is leading a bunch of fry around which are eating bbs and microworms as we speak.. I was wondering whether to breed the young together to get 25% golds, or back to the dad (as he has no visible defects) to get a higher percentage of golds?

Thanks for any details you can give me on your experiences with this variety, Neil. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….