• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Nijsseni Strange Behaviour?

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Sitting looking the tank my A. nijsseni are in tonight and noticed the female doing something strange for 5-10 minutes at a time she will come out of her cave swim up to the surface maybe darting at a few things then back to her cave then repeat. After this goes on for some time she takes a break sitting in here cave or getting ticked at the male then goes back to doing it again. Any ideas? Video enclosed.

merlin

5 Year Member
She certainly looks like she is showing some brood colour so perhaps has fry in coconut cave. The darting to the surface is strange. Is she seeing a reflection and attacking? Very strange. Hopefully someone will know the answer

Derek

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input merlin. While she does show some signs of brood colours while doing this activity whenever she swims towards the male all her dark colour washes out?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think Derek is on to the truth. You could put some floating plants above the cave and see if it stops her odd behavior. She also seems to be showing typical A. nijsseni female response to a male getting too close to her spawning site.

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
I can't put any floating plants in that area as one thing I forgot to mention is its right at the filter output (overhead trickle, I don't know if that makes any difference). So any plants put there would be just pushed away. I guess I could move the coconut shell slightly and plant some taller plants that would be up to the surface to break it up a bit.

Andrew

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….