• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Difference between Bolivian Rams and German Rams

870critters

5 Year Member
Hi, I want to know if anyone can tell me what the big differences are between the Bolivian Rams and the German Blue Rams. I have a well planted tank and would like to get a pair or two. Would these two species cross breed (not that I want them to!)? Are they the same sizes? Is one type easier to keep than the other? Is one species more aggressive than the other? Thanks for any information you can supply.

Evan

5 Year Member
They are actually quite different from each other.

Blue rams are smaller, more colorful, more aggressive when spawning, like soft water and it is somewhat hard to find quality stock.

Bolivian rams are larger, very peaceful and don't mind harder water as much.

They will not cross breed. I would say that the bolivian rams are easier to keep because they tend to be hardier.

Both are great little fish.

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
I'll also add that because their native habitats are quite different, they also have a difference in their prefered temperature.

German Blue Rams, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, are from hot savanna areas in Columbia and Venezuela. Therefore need warmer temps than most community fish: 82 - 84F.

The Bolivian Rams, M. altispinosus, are from further south in South America: yeah, Bolivia and Brazil. They like 76 - 79F.

870critters

5 Year Member
Bolivian vs German Blue Rams

I'll also add that because their native habitats are quite different, they also have a difference in their prefered temperature.

The Bolivian Rams, M. altispinosus, are from further south in South America: yeah, Bolivia and Brazil. They like 76 - 79F.

It sounds like I should stick with the Bolivian for now, although I love the looks of both. I have well water which tends to be very hard, so unless I haul my water from an hour away, it's probably better to keep a specie that is more tolerant. Thanks, your information is very helpful.

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
Actually German blue rams come from Germany. :wink:

They are a tank raised strain and really are not as picky as the wild rams are supposed to be. I have not found either to be picky one bit about much of anything. Temp, ph, food. Doesn't matter. They eat...they breed!

I gave some of the German blues to my daughter that has some of the nastiest water for fish and they have done very well. She has had them for a year now.

They would be find in a tank at 78. I have them breeding in the grow out tanks that are that temp. I think that getting healthy stock is the key to success with the German Blue rams. If you start with that you should have no problem keeping them in the same conditions you have your bolivians in now.

Bev

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….