• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus filamentosa

Z

Zodia

I was visiting my LFS the other day and I saw they had several Dicrossus filamentosa and I have since been interested in adding them to my aquarium. I presently have 5 corydoras, 2 angelfish, 2 bolivian rams (which I could part with), and a pleco in a 35 hex (23x20x24). My ph is around 7.8. I thought perhaps a trio of these would be a nice addition to my aquarium. I have been reading they grow to be about 2 inches long, they live at the lower levels of the aquarium, & they like hiding places. Is there anything else I should know before adding them to my aquarium?

Neil

Zodia,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Dicrossus species, especially filamentosa benefit greatly from soft, acidic water. Your water is probably not the best match for a species like this.
They are a fairly heavily imported species and relatively inexpensive. The reason that we do not see them in the stores more often is that they are pretty sensative. They don't ship well and their health declines if they are not give appropriate conditions. Fish stores are usually aware of this and don't get them, although they are on the list for a reasonable price.
They are a remarkably beautiful species and well worth having. But, be aware that the conditions that suit them best usually require a little "water work".
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….