• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with water treatment

Lil

I’m expecting a pair of apistogramma agassizi fire gold reds to arrive tomorrow, and I had an issue over the weekend when I noticed I was losing fish after treating one fish for a fungal infection. To my devastation I ended up losing a number of fish and noted the nitrate levels were high the fungal treatment was past expiry which is a likely contributing factor. I have been cycling my tank every second day since to try and correct the water quality and save my remaining fish which are now more active as they used to be which is a good sign. However after again changing out 50% of the tank this afternoon and testing the water quality tonight, while Ammonia levels are 0ppm, the Nitrite is 0.25ppm and Nitrate is 5.0ppm using the API Freshwater Master kit. I had ordered a Nitrite/Nitrate filter pad to add to the filter (to see if that would help) and was thinking of adding some API Quick Start which is supposed to add nitrifying bacteria which is supposed to help for instant addition of fish, as it immediately starts the natural aquarium cycle with beneficial bacteria.

Every water change I use Seachem Prime and the API Stress Zyme+. Any thoughts for safe addition of my new Apistos? Unfortunately I don’t have anothe tank to put them in for a couple of days.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not enough information. How long has the tank been running? What size is it? Do you know your tap water's values (ph, conductivity, hardness and nitrogen values)? Your NO3 values could be from there. I personally never trusted products that added bacteria to start a tank. It might work if it hasn't been subjected to external conditions that kill off the bacteria (heat/cold) - something you can't recognize when you buy it. You're better off going the 'Old School' slow and steady method. As for the aggies, do you have another tank for quarantine?

MacZ

Please copy, paste and fill out the template. Thank you.

Lil

Not enough information. How long has the tank been running? What size is it? Do you know your tap water's values (ph, conductivity, hardness and nitrogen values)? Your NO3 values could be from there. I personally never trusted products that added bacteria to start a tank. It might work if it hasn't been subjected to external conditions that kill off the bacteria (heat/cold) - something you can't recognize when you buy it. You're better off going the 'Old School' slow and steady method. As for the aggies, do you have another tank for quarantine?
Aqua One 160L Aquatica tank, been running over 5 years. I took a sample of my water yesterday before changing out 50% to the local aquarium and they tested all levels saying pH and Ammonia (0ppm) levels were all good it was the nitrite and nitrate they were concerned about. I tested the water levels again 4 hours after the water changes and the nitrite was 0.25ppm and nitrate 5.0ppm. pH was 7.0.

I don’t have another tank. Only thought was to get put them in a bucket for a couple days with an aerator and small heater until I get the tank to right itself. Any thoughts on this?

Lil

Aqua One 160L Aquatica tank, been running over 5 years. I took a sample of my water yesterday before changing out 50% to the local aquarium and they tested all levels saying pH and Ammonia (0ppm) levels were all good it was the nitrite and nitrate they were concerned about. I tested the water levels again 4 hours after the water changes and the nitrite was 0.25ppm and nitrate 5.0ppm. pH was 7.0.

I don’t have another tank. Only thought was to get put them in a bucket for a couple days with an aerator and small heater until I get the tank to right itself. Any thoughts on this?
Ammonia was still 0ppm

Lil

Please copy, paste and fill out the template. Thank you.
Thanks MacZ. I ended up ringing a local aquarium I have been dealing with most my life early this morning. I did a further 30% water change, added API start up, nitrite/nitrate filter pad to the filter and increased the Prime doseage. Water quality this afternoon is all back to where they should be which I will keep monitoring periodically. I slowly acclimatised my new apistos on their arrival. They have settled pretty quick as if they own the tank (which they do). My adult albino long fin bristle nose is back to her lively self and the otocinclus cats are doing their job so I’m happy. I will monitor my tank over the next couple of weeks before adding more fish. Thanks for your response.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….