• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

daphnia

electric eel

5 Year Member
here is something that i thought might interest anyone out there that keep daphnia.i have a 300gallon water tank that i keep about half full of water full of daphnia.in the past i've fed green water(as i was able to produce it) and babyfood(sweet potatoes diluted in water)it worked pretty well.about 2 weeks ago i took some fish to sell to a lfs that i have dealt with for a few years.i took the owners nephew a culture of daphnia and the owner asked me what i fed my culture.he(he's been keeping and breeding fish for over 40 years) asked if i'd ever tried yeast.i've been feeding them yeast ever since and i have never harvested this much daphnia since i've been keeping them.not even close.i've got a real fine gauge net and i've been able to get enough really small ones to feed my fry every day.i strain the ones i collect with the small gauge net thru a regular aquarium net and put the big ones back in the culture(or feed them to my adult apistos)

electric eel

5 Year Member
i've been using plain dry activated grocery store yeast.i reactivate according to the directions on the package(with aquarium water) and have been doing a half to a whole pack every other day(keep in mind this is to 150gallons of water)they must grow pretty quickly cause i went out to collect some after i posted this and got a lot of like half grown ones and a few little teeny ones but i did'nt feed them today.when i feed them the yeast the whole top of the tank has been covered lately and its easier to collect them.i took some fish down there yesterday and the guy told me that they used to use brewers yeast but the baking yeast seems to work pretty good.i'd like to try moina again and try the yeast.the ones i have now are daphnia magna.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….