• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ro water - is di needed ?

anewbie

anewbie: I don't use a DI cartridge. I leave that unit empty. I don't need 0 µS water and feel that it is a waste of money since I would just be adding organics to it anyway. My water was good enough that for years I kept a breeding colony of cardinal tetras reproducing in it. I only change my micron & carbon filters when I see the intake pressure start to rise. Then I know the cartridges are clogging. This means once each year on average. The R/O membrane has never been changed in the 10+ years that I've used it. I'll know when it needs changing when the water conductivity rises above 40-50 µS.
--

The above is @Mike Wise post in another thread and i decided to stop thread crapping and open my own topic. Vaguely i thought the di stage was needed to remove kh; do i really need the di stage if the tds is low ?

I realize that from other threads Mike runs his water through peat bed which is removing some ion and colorado has softwater base water than i have here - mine is 120 tds (kh 3); so while not hard water it is still harder than colorado ( used to live in the boulder region and it is great esp if you enjoy the mountains).

I don't use the carbon block since i have two carbon pre-filters removing all chlorine; so that really just leaves the ro membrane and sentiment membrane if i can remove the di phase. I think the The tds is below 10 before the di stage - i think around 4ish if the gauge on the ro unit is accurate. I'm currently using around 500 gallons of ro water a week and soon it will be 800 as i move my aquariums to softer water - the aquarium with a. pucallpes has cupido added and i've been advise to give them softer water and there is a spare 240 downstairs i might put wild caught discus and gbr in.

MacZ

Yes, the DI is not a must have. And the RO membrane already takes out 98% of GH (and thus KH), usually.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Let us know what the conductivity is from your R/O unit without a DI cartridge. If it's below 50 µS/cm I personally wouldn't worry about using a DI unit. If you do feel that you need a DI cartridge then you might look into regenerating the media by yourself. It is possible but requires very caustic chemicals; not for amateur chemists.

anewbie

The tds is below 10 so that would put the conductivity below 20; this is based on the in-line meter that came with the ro unit. What i'll do is not replace the di next time it wear out and get a more accurate reading but i think it will be around 15 for conductivity. My tap water is only 120 so not horribly hard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….