• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curviceps

Sharon

5 Year Member
I recently acquired two Curviceps, supposedly a male and female. Eggs laid this week, although they have disappeared. I'm not sure if they've hatched, and the larvae has been moved, or if they've been eaten. I did notice that some were fungused....

My question is...will a female lay eggs if no male is present...I'm not sure if I indeed have a male and female...

Sharon

5 Year Member
I've tried, but they're rather skittish around the camera. I'll keep trying though...

Sharon

5 Year Member
The two displayed courting behavior...shivering and shaking at each other. both entered a coconut shell repeatedly. My confusion came when the eggs were laid. They were a nice tan colour, and were tended by one of the pair. They turned white and fungused. Maybe not fertilized???

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
That is an odd description of breeding L. curviceps! Dwarf acaras don't use caves for breeding. They are biparental open substrate breeders. They breed out in the open on rocks, wood, and even leaves, but not in caves. Additionally, both parents take turns fanning the eggs. Once hatched, they guard the larvae/fry together. Are you sure you have L. curviceps? We recently had someone here who bought Nannacara anomala as L. curviceps. N. anomala is a maternal secretive breeding species where the female hides the eggs under something or in a cave and takes care of the eggs and fry by herself.

Sharon

5 Year Member
I'm not sure...they were labelled as Curviceps. ??? The eggs were laid on a flat rock which I placed underneath the coconut shell. Only one fish fanned the eggs. I'm currently getting some pics, so your opinion would be appreciated on identification.

Sharon

5 Year Member
Thanks so much...
I'm not terribly knowledgeable about SA Cichlids, as I've only kept Africans. I'm glad I have a pair though as watching them raise fry will be interesting....assuming they get it right next time. Thanks again!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, L. dorsigera. One question: did you cover the rock with with the coconut shell before or after they laid eggs? I've never heard of dwarf acaras laying eggs in a cave before. Either way, I'd move the coconut shell off of the rock. This will allow both parents to take care of the eggs.

Sharon

5 Year Member
I set the rock and coconut shell up, before they laid...the rock is partially outside but the eggs were laid on the rock, inside the shell. I tried to post a pic but I'm getting a message that I'm over my quota.

briztoon

5 Year Member
Sharon you say you are used to keeping African cichlids. What is the PH of your water, and how hard (dissolved mineral content) is your water? If the PH is to high and/or the water is to hard, there is a possibilty that the male will not be able to fertalise the eggs.

Sharon

5 Year Member
We have soft water here....a Ph of 6. When I kept Africans, I used a water hardener. I gave up the Africans because it became a bit of a pain to be adjusting the water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….