• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borelli m/f ratio?

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Hi,
Quick question here. My borelli are about to spawn again and I'm wondering if there is something I can do to get more males than females? My pH is 7.4, gh/kh are 3/4.
Thanks,
Cathy

awholley

5 Year Member
I keep my water quite soft and ph 6.0 and have the same problem. 16 apparent females and 1 male (which I gave to a friend as soon as they were sexable).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Keep the temperature at 29ºC/84ºF and acid. You'll get almost 90% males. Like most apistos studied so far sex ratios are determined by temperature. If you want 50/50 male/female ratio, keep the pH slightly acid & the temperature around 26ºC/79ºF (see Fig. 23, pg 146 of CA1).

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,
I bumped up the temp, but see no signs of spawning now. Perhaps I should lower it back down and bump it up again when there are eggs? Or, should I just be patient...
Thanks,
Cathy

five

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,
I bumped up the temp, but see no signs of spawning now. Perhaps I should lower it back down and bump it up again when there are eggs? Or, should I just be patient...
Thanks,
Cathy

Ya, lower the temp and raise it up again when eggs are laid.

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Ok, both females are guarding eggs now. (I have them in a 10g). I removed the male - he was getting abused. In the tank with the 2 females are about 4-5 juvies from the first time they all spawned. Should I remove them? Will the females be able to protect their young? I also don't want to remove possible 'target' fishes if that is the role the juvies are playing now. So, remove or not to remove, that is the question...

Cathy

fishgeek

previously my juveniles have predated their smaller siblings and at least reduced there numbers

i would remove them

andrew

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Eeegads! Just removed the older siblings this morning and within a hour both Mom's appear with their new brood... Thanks Andrew!

Cathy

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Now the fun begins! My experience has been that both females will try to grab all of the fry. One day 1 female will have 80% of the fry & the next the other female will have most of them. If there is an actual dominant female, she will grab them all. The nice thing is that the fry are well cared for no matter which female is guarding them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garavar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….