• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help sexing Cacatuoides

jhcardinals

Hi! I just was sold a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides (Double Red) and was wondering whether there's a male and a female. They'll probably be a bit less stressed soon and could display more color but I'd like to know as early as possible so I can make sure to be careful of aggression. Let me know if there's any more info that can help and I'd be glad to provide it. Also very open to tips, planning on feeding bbs/daphnia, have low-mid 6s pH, wish my GH was lower (~75) but my KH is damn near 0. Tank is at 78 degrees, some catappa leaves and driftwood inside. Plants are Java fern, anubias nana, thai moss, christmas moss, crypt affinis metallic red, lobelia cardinalis. Sand substrate, sponge filter. Appreciate any help, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The problem with domestic red strains of A. cacatuoides is that the females develop many masculine traits (color, fins) that wild females do not. With that caveat, from what I see you probably have 1 of each sex.

jhcardinals

The problem with domestic red strains of A. cacatuoides is that the females develop many masculine traits (color, fins) that wild females do not. With that caveat, from what I see you probably have 1 of each sex.
Thanks, Mike! I read a bit about that, but most of my LFS in NYC didn't sell apistos at the moment. Have never had fish shipped from the west coast before, so I got them from another hobbyist. Will keep that in mind when I set up my next tank, appreciate your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….