• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best for beginners

A

ac82

Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether I could have some advice with stocking my tank? I already have a male and female pair of apist. cacatuoides; is it ok to have two different species of dwarf cichlids in the same tank? If so which ones would you recommend?

I have 180 litre tank with a pair of lace gouramis, some corys and tetras.

Many thanks in advance,

Andy

P

Pnyklr

I have always thought that if you have more than one type of apistogramma, that they would interbreed.

Apistt_ed

the chance for interbreeding is most likely going to happen in species that are closely related. in your case, species such as A. cacatuoides won't do well with closely related fish like A. luelingi, A. blackchin/ sp. jurensis, etc but if their respective females were in that environment, interbreeding shouldn't be a problem as the fish will usually only interbreed if the female/male of same species isn't available. cheers john

Greg PL

5 Year Member
if the tank is long enough (over 1m) I would go for 3 males and 4-6 females of A. cacatuoides. There are different color forms if you opt for variability.
this way you will see the most of their social behavior. and you can be sure that the fish are "compatible" - no species will dominate the other.

if you mix species - you don't need to worry about hybridization, as the tetras and corys should take care of all offsprings anyhow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….