• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistogramma target fish

Julian

hi I have some questions about target fish
1.are target fish necessary for breeding apistogramma
2.what are the best target fish that would not eat fry
3.would ember tetras work for a 15 gallon

MacZ

You mean dither fish, right?

1. no
2. Pencilfish
3. Embers move too low in the water column. They might get a lot of heat from the cichlids. It is possible that the presence of the embers keeps them from successfully spawning, too.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Julian do you mean target or dither fish? Target fish and dither fish are 2 different animals. Target fish are used, depending on the species, to keep a pair bond strong (not really useful for most apistos, but helpful for acaras and especially kribs) or to keep the male occupied so as not to bother a brooding female. Dither fish are used as a 'security blanket' of sorts to calm other fish.

Julian

Ok now I’m confused I thought target fish were used so that the pair don’t beat each other up. Please explain

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Ok now I’m confused I thought target fish were used so that the pair don’t beat each other up. Please explain
Simple enough, "dither fish" are small fish that swim above the Apistogramma and <"make them feel more secure">. They aren't essential, but if you don't have them <"you need a lot of cover"> (floating plants etc) or the cichlids may remain in hiding.

The ideal dither fish is a small fish that won't eat (m)any fry. A lot of people use Hockey-stick Pencil (Nannostomus eques), because it has a small mouth, swims well up in the water column, likes soft water etc. but there are other options.

"Target fish" are what you have described. You don't usually need them with Apistogramma, but <"Black-Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)"> will perform both "Dither" and "Target" roles.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….