• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma pictures sharing

monsterfish studio

Recently photo shoot these two species and I'm new here.Enjoy!

8M7A1325.jpg

8M7A1347.jpg

8M7A1379.jpg

skoram

wow really beautiful apistos. I love the subtle light blue tint in their scales. what species are they?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Species in the eunotus-complex, probably ortegai (formerly Pebas)-subcomplex. Without seeing the dark markings on the fish, it is hard to identify.

monsterfish studio

Species in the eunotus-complex, probably ortegai (formerly Pebas)-subcomplex. Without seeing the dark markings on the fish, it is hard to identify.

Mr.Wise,

They come as "Algodon II" from EU. I have a very rare chance to get known to these, so I am not so certain they are ortegai or eunotus or not. Can you briefly describe the difference between ortegai and eunotus?

Thank you so much.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, "A. algodon II" is a 'garbage name' used for the past 20 years for a mix of closely related species that are collected around Pebas, Peru: A. ortegai (Papagei), A. cf. ortegai (Pebas) and A. sp. Putumayo (Ampiyacu). If these fish are domestic bred specimens, then they could be a hybrid or, if the breeder is lucky, a pure species.

Second, I did not write that the fish is either A. eunotus or A. ortegai. I wrote that the fish belongs to a species-complex that contains many different species. I split this species-complex into 3 sub-complexes:

ortegai-subcomplex ---
\​
cruzi-subcomplex --- eunotus-complex
/​
eunotus-subcomplex---

I know that the fish in the photo are not A. eunotus. A. eunotus - the true species - is not in the trade/hobby and has not been for about 30 years. The fish in the middle photo looks like A. ortegai (Papagei) to me, but the other 2 photos show a fish that is a different species. These fish could belong to either either the cruzi-subcomplex or ortegai-subcomplex. I need to see the shape of the caudal spot to be sure. I would sell them as "A. sp. Algodon II". Hobbyists knowledgeable about apistos will understand the name.

Last edited:

monsterfish studio

First, "A. algodon II" is a 'garbage name' used for the past 20 years for a mix of closely related species that are collected around Pebas, Peru: A. ortegai (Papagei), A. cf. ortegai (Pebas) and A. sp. Putumayo (Ampiyacu). If these fish are domestic bred specimens, then they could be a hybrid or, if the breeder is lucky, a pure species.

Second, I did not write that the fish is either A. eunotus or A. ortegai. I wrote that the fish belongs to a species-complex that contains many different species. I split this species-complex into 3 sub-complexes:

ortegai-subcomplex ---
\​
/​
eunotus-subcomplex---

I know that the fish in the photo are not A. eunotus. A. eunotus - the true species - is not in the trade/hobby and has not been for about 30 years. The fish in the middle photo looks like A. ortegai (Papagei) to me, but the other 2 photos show a fish that is a different species. These fish could belong to either either the cruzi-subcomplex or ortegai-subcomplex. I need to see the shape of the caudal spot to be sure. I would sell them as "A. sp. Algodon II". Hobbyists knowledgeable about apistos will understand the name.

Thank you Mr. Wise for your information and that helps alot for the future when I have to id those. If you may could I have your email address so I can contact you when I have some unknown apisto. species?

bbetta

5 Year Member

ortegai-subcomplex ---
\​
/​
eunotus-subcomplex---

Mike, I'd like to ask you if you are against buying A. Algodon. I could get my hands on them and they look pretty nice too, but will I face problems with the fry, if their parents are indeed hybrids/mixed fish?

Thanks in advance,
Billy

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm not against buying any fish if you like them. Most apisto hobbyists love 2X/3X red cocatoos, but I've never had an interest in or kept any domestic red A. cacatuoides. I do keep a wild population, however. Personally, I wouldn't buy Algodon unless I knew that they were wildcaught and I could pick out my own fish. Then I could get only the species that I wanted. But that is just me. I'm a crotchety old dude!:D

bbetta

5 Year Member
I'm not against buying any fish if you like them. Most apisto hobbyists love 2X/3X red cocatoos, but I've never had an interest in or kept any domestic red A. cacatuoides. I do keep a wild population, however. Personally, I wouldn't buy Algodon unless I knew that they were wildcaught and I could pick out my own fish. Then I could get only the species that I wanted. But that is just me. I'm a crotchety old dude!:D
Thanks for the reply,
But will I face problems raising fry of a mixed fish such as algodon? I understand they are not one pure species, so will their fry (or the parents) have problems like the electric blue Ramirezi?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on which species (1 or 2) are used for breeding. Algodons are commonly available so the fish, if hybrids, seem to be mostly viable - or maybe only the Algodons fry bred from a single species survive. I just don't know. If commercially bred in a group setting each species will preferentially seek out its own species. If bred as pairs, well "any port in a storm".

bbetta

5 Year Member
It really depends on which species (1 or 2) are used for breeding. Algodons are commonly available so the fish, if hybrids, seem to be mostly viable - or maybe only the Algodons fry bred from a single species survive. I just don't know. If commercially bred in a group setting each species will preferentially seek out its own species. If bred as pairs, well "any port in a storm".
Again, thank you very much for your valuable help. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….