• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. "Roca Eterna"

Tom C

5 Year Member
There has been some discussion on the A. sp. "Roca Eterna" in this thread.

Just to give an impression of the fish, I present a few pics of it.

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

dw1305

5 Year Member
"roca eterena"

Hi all,
This is probably a silly question, and is based purely on the look of the fish in the photos, and I realise that they are closely related species, but why is it likely to be A. "Papagei", rather than A. "Pebas"? is it morphology? or is it the collection site?

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's all in the shape of the caudal spot/patch. On Pebas the patch is more of an elongated triangle (◄), with the apex pointing toward the nose. On Roca Eterna & Papagei the patch is more like a joined double spot or infinity symbol.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike,
I can see what you mean from the female in the thread, although I'm not sure I could I.D the male fish, A87, A89 & A91 )(from Martin and Toms site <http://apisto.sites.no/slekt.aspx?gruppeID=1&ViewSelected=True>) as "Papagei" or "Pebas", based purely on the shape of the caudal blotch.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm not sure I could I.D the male fish ... as "Papagei" or "Pebas", based purely on the shape of the caudal blotch.

I think that you are looking more at the color of the male than the black markings. I almost never consider color when I ID an apisto species. Your problem might be due to the intense color on the male that covers the caudal spot/patch. Then, again, males of the Roca Eterna fish seem to be more like A. sp. Putumay and A92 Papagei, which show a very weak or no second caudal spot.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Hey Mike,
Have you ever considered publishing a book yourself? You should.
If you ever do make sure you have a good section that can take amateurs (like me) step by step (with lots of photos) IDing the different apistos.

Just a thought.

g

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hey Mike,
Have you ever considered publishing a book yourself? You should.
If you ever do make sure you have a good section that can take amateurs (like me) step by step (with lots of photos) IDing the different apistos.

Just a thought.

g

I'd buy it!

electric eel

5 Year Member
i'd like to hear Mike speak sometime if he ever makes it relatively close to dayton or cincinnatti,ohio.do you give talks at aquaruim societies Mike?maybe i could talk them into bringing you to G.C.A.S. in cicinnatti if you were interested.you could maybe do C.A.F.E. in columbus on the same trip.i think they worked together to bring in Ad Konings(great speaker by the way) last time he came.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
i'd like to hear Mike speak sometime if he ever makes it relatively close to dayton or cincinnatti,ohio.do you give talks at aquaruim societies Mike?maybe i could talk them into bringing you to G.C.A.S. in cicinnatti if you were interested.you could maybe do C.A.F.E. in columbus on the same trip.i think they worked together to bring in Ad Konings(great speaker by the way) last time he came.

Yes I do speak at clubs. Over the years I've spoken at a number of clubs/organiziations in the US and Europe. I try to limit my our-of-town talks to 3 or 4, spaced over the year. I just presented 3 different programs to the Minnesota Aquarium Society last month. I had a wonderful time.

electric eel

5 Year Member
i was sure that you did.we've a lot going on with the aca being in cincinatti this year but i know our general fund is looking pretty good.good enough i'm sure to bring in a world class softwater dwarf cichlid speaker(namely you)i will bring it up at the next meeting and see what the response is.

RAF

5 Year Member
Hi Tom, a excelent fish, once more... You keep amazing us with your fish.

By the way - and since we're tlking about fish and photos - thank you for letting me use your photos in APC Convention... it was a success.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My female A. sp. Roca Eterna just brought out her new fry. Her brood dress appears to be a mix of the patterns seen on A. sp. Putumayo and A. sp. Papagei. She shows the lateral spot pattern of A. sp. Putumayo, but the caudal patch of A. sp. Papagei.

AspRocaEternaFwFry5-09.jpg

My male definitely has a squared-off/truncated caudal fin.

AspRocaEternaM5-09b.jpg

I now think that it is a separate form, if not a separate species. Now we have to look at all of the photos of less colorful species sold as A. sp. Papagei. Maybe many of these were actually Roca Eterna. TomC and I were told by collectors that this fish was collected closer to Iquitos than the true, colorful Papagei from the Ampiyacu and many are sold as Papagei.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….