• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma juruensis

shoshone

Few pictures of these rare and beautiful fish.:biggrin:

01217.jpg

01411.jpg

02312.jpg

02212.jpg

01512.jpg

Cor

Not to much colour but never the less a very nice species of Apistogramma. Unfortunally only the colourful apistogramma's appeal to the public and only apisto-lovers (like myself) appriciate this kind of fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hope you didn't pay juruensis prices for this fish. It looks like a wild form of A. cacatuoides to me. The true A. juruensis has a distinctly separate caudal spot and regularly spaced vertical rows of spots on the caudal fin. The wavy abdominal stripes are not as wide as on the typical A. juruensis, too.

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Nancy, where did you get these from? I got a "false" jurunese" (black-chin/Schwarzkin) male from Shark Aquarium when I was in NJ last month. Would love to find some females. I guess maybe I should post a pic up for confirmation.

shoshone

I hope you didn't pay juruensis prices for this fish. It looks like a wild form of A. cacatuoides to me. The true A. juruensis has a distinctly separate caudal spot and regularly spaced vertical rows of spots on the caudal fin. The wavy abdominal stripes are not as wide as on the typical A. juruensis, too.

I paid very law prices for this fish as with all others that I have in my possession. I am a lucky man !
They are very young maybe the typical patern is not yet well defined ?
I thought they could be "blackchin" but I hadn 't thought about cacatuoides.

For Linus, i get this from north-east of france.
Nancy is the name of my city

ste12000

5 Year Member
I recently imported a box of 'Juruensis', i know enough to not expect the true juruensis and was hoping for A.sp 'blackchin' instead like ive had in the past... I ended up with a box of wild cacatuoides which i could of got for half the price of what i actually paid!!! Nice fish but expensive compared to what i could of imported A.cacatuoides for!!

Moral of the story! Dont trust the exporter or retailer when it comes to naming Apistos!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is always possible to be wrong when using only photos. I think that it is very unlikely that the caudal spot will separate from the lateral band as the fish grows, however. This characteristic is seen even on immature A. juruensis.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think cacatuoides too--I brought some nice Jurus back from Germany last wrek that Uwe collected in Peru this summer--caudal spot all that like Mike says

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
David, I wonder how Uwe could get the true A. juruensis from Peru. It only is found in the middle Rio Juruá near Cruzeiro, Brazil. Methinks that Uwe's fish are more likely A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike thats one I am not getting into--I also brought back elizabtehtae, cinalabra, one Undes apisto and one undes small aequidens, really a nice fish

Melanochromis

David, I wonder how Uwe could get the true A. juruensis from Peru. It only is found in the middle Rio Juruá near Cruzeiro, Brazil.

Is that area difficult to access and collect fish?
Can I ask if A. sp. "Cruzeiro" ("Jurua") is also from the same area and perhaps this is the reason it is a rare fish too?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Is that area difficult to access and collect fish?

No, access is easy by plane; by boat it takes a long time to get there from anywhere. It is just so far from normal commercial collecting localities that it really isn't worth the expense for commercial collectors.

Can I ask if A. sp. "Cruzeiro" ("Jurua") is also from the same area and perhaps this is the reason it is a rare fish too?

Yes, but A. sp. Cruzeiro is found closer to the town of Cruzeiro do Sul. I feel that both species are rare in the hobby because they are not only rarely collected, but also are not really easy to reproduce.

Melanochromis

Thanks for the information. I hope some day it'd be easier for collectors to get more fish there. I'd love to see a real Juruensis someday.

Yes, but A. sp. Cruzeiro is found closer to the town of Cruzeiro do Sul. I feel that both species are rare in the hobby because they are not only rarely collected, but also are not really easy to reproduce.

Honestly I think they are quite prolific, likely on par with the cacatuoides. Although the frequency of spawning is slightly less often than the caca, but the brood is usually larger. Even a first-time mom can give you more than 50 fry. At the moment, I have more than 200 A. Sp. "Cruzeiro" of various ages in 7 tanks. That's way too many considering that I live in a small apartment. Now I have to strictly separate males and females and never let them be in the same tanks.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
David, I wonder how Uwe could get the true A. juruensis from Peru. It only is found in the middle Rio Juruá near Cruzeiro, Brazil. Methinks that Uwe's fish are more likely A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin.

Here is a fish Uwe and I call--the "Big Boys" it's a personal thingP1000516.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….