• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma juruensis? ID help

Nick123

Hello, I got these little guys from a local shop today. They were being sold as apistogramma juruensis, but I’m not sold on that ID. Here are some pics
IMG_3573.jpeg
IMG_3575.jpeg
IMG_3582.jpeg
IMG_3584.jpeg

Here are some photos of when I got them home
IMG_3591.jpeg
IMG_3598.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I can provide more pictures once they settle in a bit. I got 4 fish, what I think is 2 males and 2 females. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

MacZ

No offense, If I had been sold fish in such bad shape I'd have returned them or not bought in the first place.

I see some signs that point to the direction of something A. juruensis-like, but hard to tell. I'd now let them settle, quarantine and let their fins grow back.

Apistoguy52

Neat fish! Looks like they should land somewhere in the regani complex. The split bars that are shown in a few pics look very much like some of the eunotus type fish

Nick123

No offense, If I had been sold fish in such bad shape I'd have returned them or not bought in the first place.

I see some signs that point to the direction of something A. juruensis-like, but hard to tell. I'd now let them settle, quarantine and let their fins grow back.
Kind of the reason I wanted to buy them, give them a good home where they can heal up. Besides i love a good mystery. I’ll update with more pictures once they’ve settled in

Nick123

Here are some updated pictures with some better coloration
IMG_3639.jpeg
IMG_3638.jpeg
IMG_3640.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have them in with a bunch of botanicals, I hope that helps their fins recover. I’ll take any other suggestions on how to get their fins to recover. As for ID, I’m thinking eunotus is probably correct, but the very optimistic side of me thinks possibly even alto tapiche just based off the red on the side of the males body?? I’d love to hear what Frank and Mike think based off these newer pictures. Thank you!

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I’m thinking eunotus is probably correct, but the very optimistic side of me thinks possibly even alto tapiche just based off the red on the side of the males body?? I’d love to hear what Frank and Mike think based off these newer pictures. Thank you!
Sorry to disappoint you,, but it's not A. sp. Alto Tapiche. Some forms of A. cf. eunotus can also show such pattern of red/orange spots,

MacZ

I have them in with a bunch of botanicals, I hope that helps their fins recover. I’ll take any other suggestions on how to get their fins to recover.
Waterchanges, humic substances, low conductivity, good food (maybe enriched with viramins).

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Got it, thank you. Just out of curiosity, how are you able to tell?
Alto Tapiche have a distinct pattern of vertical stripes or rows of spots in the caudal fin and their red stripes usually reach farther into the rear part of the body and above the lateral band.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Got it, thank you. Just out of curiosity, how are you able to tell?
A. cf. eunotus: Split in Bar 6 below lateral band (diagnostic for eunotus-subcomplex species); unpatterned caudal with orange in part (varies with form/population); blue gill cover (amount varies with form/population); orange pectoral fin base. "Red on the sides" is seen an many eunotus-complex species when collected in the wild. Sadly, it usually disappears in captivity and offspring rarely if ever show it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….