• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Baenschi

Hako

5 Year Member
Hi,

So I got 2 pairs of apistogramma baenschi around 10 days ago. They have been sitting at the bottom of the tank hiding ever since I put them in. I have kept all kinds of fish and apistos before but never had any fish like this before. I mean I read that some fish being really shy but wondering what else could be wrong. These are not wild fish so is it possible that they have never seen any other fish and a bit scared of that? I only have a couple of Pyrrhulina spilota, Hyphessobrycon peruvianus, Poecilocharax weitzmani in the tank. Water hardness is around 60ppm.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
H

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Congrats on the new additions. I hope they come out for you soon -- so you can snap some photos for us! ;) :)

Hako

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike! Still waiting :)

Sure thing Josh, as soon as I get a chance I will take some pics.

h

sfapisto

Hi,

So I got 2 pairs of apistogramma baenschi around 10 days ago. They have been sitting at the bottom of the tank hiding ever since I put them in. I have kept all kinds of fish and apistos before but never had any fish like this before. I mean I read that some fish being really shy but wondering what else could be wrong. These are not wild fish so is it possible that they have never seen any other fish and a bit scared of that? I only have a couple of Pyrrhulina spilota, Hyphessobrycon peruvianus, Poecilocharax weitzmani in the tank. Water hardness is around 60ppm.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
H
I have apistogramma baenschi and they did exactly the same thing. I eventually put some lampeyes since they like to swim near the surface. The baenschi became less shy, but only less shy. They like to hang out near cover.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have kept this species many times and always found them to be very shy.
I have tried all the "tricks" I know to no avail.
One way I have found helpful with all Apistogramma species is to keep them at the highest level possible so they aren't subject to passing shadows.
Pretty much as I have always done with my breeding pairs of discus.

georgedv

5 Year Member
I had three pairs, but I lost two of the females. The last pair is in a 29g hi on the waist level rack. In their tank reside two male platies. The tank is well planted and has two coc/nut shells and a small clay pot, plus lots of wood thown around every where....lots of hiding places. The first week I rarely saw them. Now they are up front and center, gracefully swimming around the tank with no worries. Now if I can get the darn pH to drop a few more points, I might have some fry and be able to keep me a colony of this beautiful fish.

george

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bward

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(