• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizii agression

Duffmanj

Tank looks awesome I quite like the sword! I have dirted tanks too so I know what you mean about them growing out. Haven't trimmed this one back in a while!
uploadfromtaptalk1403953746681.jpg

Josie*

image.jpg
Your apisto is stunning! I can't wait until my tank really takes off like that.
I've had that sword for nearly a year so I will be sad to see it go... I have just arranged for a friend to take it on when my new plants come so I least I will be able to go and visit it lol. I just feel it doesn't really fit anymore for what I want the tank to look like. Do you use c02 or dose ferts or anything?

Got a more clear pic now the lights stopped shining!

Duffmanj

Looks brilliant. Think you have the same filter as my other tank. No CO2, I dose liquid ferts when I remember!

ErtyJr

Hey josie! Your tank is looking much better now but could still use a bit more separation and cover. But the main reason I wanted to reply was I wanted to introduce you to a technique I learned when I owned many saltwater dwarf angelfish. They are highly territorial and aggresive and will kill each other if not handled properly. It is widely advised to only keep 1 in a 55 gallon tank, but I successfully had 3 for a long time! I used this same technique when adding a female to my tank in which my male had been alone in for many weeks, and the tank was only 12" x 12" so very little room!

First method, remove the male (not female) to a new tank. This allows the female to feel safe and learn all the hiding spots and caves in the tank. If the male is left in he feels the entire tank is all his and feels safe and secure and will defend it the moment your female is reintroduced. Adding to that your female will be terrified because they are new surroundings and she has just been dropped in suddenly. The reverse is true if the male is removed. The female feels safe while the male feels scared and like an intruder!

Second option (what I did in my small apisto tank. I went to a store and purchased what I call a "bug zoo" people use them for crickets normally. It's like a tiny plastic tank with a snap on lid with holes in top. I added some food and removed the top of it then placed it sideways in my tank. When the male went in I placed the lid back on and left it in the tank. At that point he got to watch the female swim around his territory for a few days and got comfortable with her being there and she became comfortable with him and the area. After 2 days I released him. They spawned about 5 days later. Now she is the boss of the tank. Poor guy!

Josie*

Thanks, yes I've ordered lots more wood, caves and plants. I'm going to set about making lots more separated areas and little hidey holes.

I've read its better to remove the male not the female, however my female is currently in my endler tank, if I were to put the female back in their main tank, I would be worried about putting him in with the endlers as he does like to chase the pencil fish. I don't think he would like the killifish Or betta tank, and definitely don't think he would enjoy the goldfish tank lol!

I have a breeder net, if he can't go in with the endlers (I'm not bothered if they drop fry and he has a snack) would that work? The female is still flashing, which I'm still concerned about.

rr16

5 Year Member
There are loads of oak trees near me and I gotr excited the other day as I found loads of offcuttings of oaak branches (some are about 20cm thick) at the back of work! My lighting is just two t8 24 inch tubes (or something like that).
Josie, shame you bought H. leucocephala and water lettuce as I have loads I could have posted you. If you want any for the price of postage let me know!
Pistia 1.jpg

MonteSS

Lookin good.

Best to remove the bully fish and leave the picked on fish in the main tank unless it needs meds.

Josie*

Thanks rr! That's very kind of you, I bought quite a lot so that should set me off with a good supply :)

I'm always scared to collect wood, I would probably choose the wrong type, or pick one that leeches and poisons the tank knowing me!

Monte, thanks, I'm going to put her back in today I think, and move the male somewhere else. I'm not sure whats wrong with her, she just doesn't seem right. She's not bottom sitting or anything, and she's exploring the tank but not interesting in eating and occasional flashing.

ErtyJr

Josie, if she is not eating make an attempt to find her some live food. Make sure it's clean but it can really give a fish their appetite back. I lost a female to starvation before it was very sad. She laid eggs and the male never fertilized. Afterwards she ate the eggs and would not eat again afterwards. Even though the eggs were gone she would spend the entire day catching bubbles from my girlfriends bubble wand and then swimming to the rock the eggs used to be under and then would release the bubble. She did that untill eventually she starved. ; (

Josie*

I've thought about live food, there's a shop near me that sometimes has it, so I will ring tomorrow and see if they have any in and try her with it. She did make a feeble attempt to eat a brine shrimp today, although she didn't eat it at least she showed a bit of interest which is better.
If not I can order some (have once before but it was all dead) I've also ordered kusuri wormer/fluke solve as the flashing isn't normal. I can watch her for 5 mins and see her flashing multiple times.

Thanks so much for your valuable advice, it really means a lot :)

ErtyJr

Your welcome. My apistos favourite food is live scuds. I bought them from aquabid from a seller named livefins. Free 2 day delivery included.

Josie*

Thanks, I will go and have a look now. I did some research on how to breed and care for live scuds last night but it looked like it becomes tricky by what people who have done it are saying.

ErtyJr

Well here is my experience with breeding scuds and keeping them.

3 months ago I bought 100 scuds. I put around 75-85 directly in my tank. They breed and clean directly in the tank, but you hardly see them because of the presence of predators. They are in there though. The other 25-15 I bought a small Tupperware box from lowes, put a sponge filter run by an air pump in (home made from pvc and filter sponge media cost about 4 bucks for box and all) then I got some unbleached brown (that part is critical) paper towel and put it in with them. They eat the paper towel (that's why it must be unbleached) since that 3 months ago, I haven't done a thing. Haven't even done a water change just to see how hardy they are. My little Tupperware is full of the things I can scoop em out left and right and they keep multiplying.

As another test I went to the river and caught some scuds. They are easy to catch if you know what you are doing. I don't feed my fish these it was just a test. I took a home depot bucket, put in maybe 1/2 gallon of water and just left it on my porch. That was 2 months ago. Rain falls in it, sun is on it a lot ect. They are still alive and kicking out there. Multiplying like nuts.

Josie*

I've had a look, apparently, its difficult to get scuds in the uk :( some people have found them in rivers from what I've read, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm going to keep looking and see if I can find any, if not they will have to make do with brine shrimp and daphnia. I've also set up a little 3 gallon tank out side which I'm going to try and get some mosquito larvae out of.

ErtyJr

The thing with scuds is easy. Look for a river with a light current. Find some aquatic plants in current. Hold a net downstream and shake the plant. A bunch will fall into your net. Doing this will get you scuds but also other bug larvae ect. It's a bit risky because you can introduce pathogens into your tank. If you do decide to do this, i recommend keeping them separated and not feeding or introducing any scuds to your tank for atleast a few months. Keep in mind all our aquatic life was at one time wild caught so some feel it's not a big deal. On the other hand lots of our fish have been separated from the wild their whole life and many generations. In the end it's up to your judgement.

Josie*

I will have a good think about this, I definitely want to try raising live food myself, and scuds sound much easier than brine shrimp. I do get paranoid, and even after treating some duck weed I got out of someone's pond I had nightmares for weeks about nymphs or other nasty things getting in the tank and eating fry :/ like waking up drenched in sweat because of it!

ErtyJr

Haha, that's a bit extreme! I personally am not against adding wild specimens. I however am very adamant about a very long and extensive quarantine first. The hardest part is convincing the girlfriend to let me keep something around the house that long!

Josie*

I always treat new plants, to get rid of any nasties. and I know a lot of the plants I buy on ebay were raised in ponds abroad, but somehow collecting them my self from a pond was a bit nerve wracking!
Yes, that's the trouble-they just don't understand :p

Duffmanj

Buy a small bag of daphnia from a local LFS, put it in a container of water in the garden, spare tank or plastic tub etc will do the trick. In a few weeks you'll have plenty ☺ there are guides online regarding harvesting etc. Regarding the flashing etc, this can be the result of a change in hardness in the tank. If youve added/removed anything or changed your water source that could be a cause, it usually subsides in a couple of days. Also, is this a brand new set up or was it previously cycled with other fish or using a fishless cycle? Apologies if I've missed that in the thread. Might be worth finding out what the LFS was feeding them and try her on some of that, too.

Josie*

I just got them from the shop so it could be the difference in parameters, I did carefully acclimate her.

The tank has been established for over a year with other fish, I recently decided to get apistos, but the tank is fully established :)

She ate at first, she ate a brine shrimp and a bit of flake then the male started attacking her and that's when the flashing and not eating started. I think if it is flukes/parasites they were able to take over because she was stressed and that's why there wasn't any signs of it before. She is looking very skinny. She's definitely getting more active after this rest she's having away from the male,just still flashing and not eating.

Will get some daphnia today, and look up how to keep them :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….