• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto group question

aarhud

5 Year Member
Hello,

I tried to search the forums, but not much luck. Generally, are the species in the same group (Cacatuoides, Regani, ect) similar in temperament?

I currently have a domestic strain of A. cacatuoides and the interactions are great, but I have never been fond of the gaudy colors. I keep the fish in a 6ft tank with three males (one is a sneaker male) and 9 females. I am looking for a species that will behave similar to cacatuoides.

Would trifasciata behave similar?

Feel free to suggest others that work fairly well as a breeding colony. As odd as it sounds, I think I enjoy working with the species that are less colorful. On the downside, I am selling the six foot tank and downgrading the apistogramma to a 55 gallon, but I am assuming I would have room for 1m4f as long as I space out territories correctly.

Aaron

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, species within a complex are usually similar in temprament. Just realize that individuals within a species will vary some, too. A. trifasciata would be an excellent species in a group setting. They, and most other, highly polygamous species should work so long as each fish can establish a territory of its own.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Thank you for the reply Mike, very nice of you to share your expertise with the every day hobbyist. I appreciate it.

I like trifasciata a great deal, but browsing around on the forum some say the females are not as dedicated parents. Have you experienced that as well? The parental care is my favorite part to watch, so I like the hyper attentive females. I'm guessing that the parenting interest of the females will be variable no matter the species, I am just curious if some tend to be more devoted than others.

One more question for you:
As a general rule, I have been told over and over that one way to tell the more polygamous species is by looking at the size of the male. Bigger males usually mean that the species is polygamous. Does this rule of thumb hold any truth?

If the above rule of thumb holds true, I assume the more slender types pair more often? I really like A. pertensis and A. gibbicips.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My experience with trifasciata-groups species (A. trifasciata & A. erythrura) is that male are extremely aggressive toward female not willing to breed, be it not in spawning condition or tending fry. This is a good reason to have a minimum of 2, preferably more females/male.

Polygamy in apisto species is more typically seen in trifasciata-lineage species-groups, but not all. Most of the polygamous species do tend to be more sexually dimorphic in size and finnage than those in other lineages. Slender/elongate species do not necessarily indicate that they are polygamous. Species of the pertensis- and iniridae-groups, for example, tend to be highly monogamous.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input,

In general, how many females do you try in a 48x12 footprint? I bet I got away with a little more when I was using the 72x18 footprint.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
1 - 10; it really depends on the way the tank is set up for territories. I usually recommend each apisto have a territory of about 1 sq. ft. with distinct boundaries that are mostly hidden from other territories.

raymond82

Mike, could you give an example of what properly set up territories look like? I usually just put a lot of coconut caves, plants and wood in the aquarium but this makes removing fish and aquarium maintenance usually a big hassle. I would love to know what a proper territory boundary looks like and how to set it up.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….