• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto colony

cichlidmac

I have 1 female Borellii opal and 1 wild male, I just bought 15 Borellii blue. I would like to try a colony in a 55g.

Any suggestions, experiences?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
17 dwarf cichlids in a 55 is quite a few. Make sure you have a well aquascaped tank or you'll have real problems. I'd also have a bunch of floating tubes at the surface for any 'losers' in the territorial sweapstakes and remove them as you find them. Either that or you'll lose them.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
If your desire is to breed your A. boreelli in a large colony I recommend using a 125 gal tank.
It may seem like too large a tank but it is not for true colony breeding.
Otherwise I recommend using pairs in separate 10 gal tanks. Trios may also be possible as long as the fry are removed as needed.

You can not expect success breding them if larger Cichlids share the set up.

cichlidmac

Well I have 2 29g I can do pairs in the rest will have to go into the 100g they won't need to breed in there. I only paid for 2 pairs and got the other 11 fish free. I dare not put any apistos with my A. Location 21 in the 55g, they seem to rip them apart.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….