• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do I have 2 females? Where can I buy a male?

apisto_fan

After a long search I finally found a LFS that sold Apisto Cockatoos and I bought the only 2 they had. They're really happy in my tank but I think I got two females? See attached.

Do I need a male? If so, any suggestions where / how I can buy a male in the LA area?

I think I still have the space for one more.

Attachments

• 20230907_095849-COLLAGE.jpg
    20230907_095849-COLLAGE.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 113

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the 2 females (bottom, yes; top, depends on size) are to be added to a community tank then, then no male. Breeding cichlids in a community tank is a bad idea. It stresses out the other fish and even the breeders trying to protect territory/eggs/fry.

apisto_fan

If the 2 females (bottom, yes; top, depends on size) are to be added to a community tank then, then no male. Breeding cichlids in a community tank is a bad idea. It stresses out the other fish and even the breeders trying to protect territory/eggs/fry.
Ah thank you that's a point I didn't consider!

The top one is still very small, I think it's a very young one. Probably around an inch or so big at the moment

apisto_fan

The bottom one, yellow, has now become very aggressive towards the top, small.one.

Any suggestions on how to reduce that aggression?

She also seems to be chasing my shrimp a lot :(

MacZ

Any suggestions on how to reduce that aggression?
Depends on your tank. From rearranging wood and stuff to removal of the low-ranking fish, there is a wide range of possible things you can do. But all depending on your situation.

So some basic details (dimensions, tankmates), useful info (you have other tanks? Or a retailer willing to take one fish back?) and a picture of the tank are necessary to give you any advise.

apisto_fan

Depends on your tank. From rearranging wood and stuff to removal of the low-ranking fish, there is a wide range of possible things you can do. But all depending on your situation.

So some basic details (dimensions, tankmates), useful info (you have other tanks? Or a retailer willing to take one fish back?) and a picture of the tank are necessary to give you any advise.
Of course, my bad. It's a 20g high. I don't have other tanks unfortunately.

Tank mates are 8 endless and 5 Panda Cory's, as well as some snails, that they leave alone. It's just that other Apisto she chased away.
I tried using plants to give them lots of hiding spaces too.

And yeah I realize the shrimp were not a great idea I'll give them away to a friend.

Attachments

• PXL_20230907_150518295.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230907_150518295.MP.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:

MacZ

Yeah... you might have to completely redo the stocking.
Also you have a generally bad combination of fish. No idea who told you the combination is ok, but well...

The Endlers may end up as food. Even the adults. Cichlids (or actually any fish) will try to eat whatever may fit in their mouths.
Corydoras might work with a male-only group of Apistogramma in a tank of at least 120cm length. With a "pair" and thus eventually a brooding female this would mean enormous stress on the cichlids and maybe the loss of eyes for the Corydoras. This might interest you:

If you want to keep the cichlids, keep the male remove the Corydoras and the Endlers and replace them with small tetras or pencilfish.

The tank is much too open and has too little cover. More wood and leaf litter would be necessary in any case, whatever you decide to do in terms of stocking.

apisto_fan

Yeah... you might have to completely redo the stocking.
Also you have a generally bad combination of fish. No idea who told you the combination is ok, but well...

The Endlers may end up as food. Even the adults. Cichlids (or actually any fish) will try to eat whatever may fit in their mouths.
Corydoras might work with a male-only group of Apistogramma in a tank of at least 120cm length. With a "pair" and thus eventually a brooding female this would mean enormous stress on the cichlids and maybe the loss of eyes for the Corydoras. This might interest you:

If you want to keep the cichlids, keep the male remove the Corydoras and the Endlers and replace them with small tetras or pencilfish.

The tank is much too open and has too little cover. More wood and leaf litter would be necessary in any case, whatever you decide to do in terms of stocking.
Hmm thank you for that. Before stocking I made multiple posts on various aquarium forums, including reddit, and everyone said this is a perfectly ok stocking.

Not even aqadvisor threw any issues up.

As mentioned, neither Apisto is even remotely interested in bothering my other fish at the moment, just the big one is bothering the small one.

Are both my apistos female? Would that reduce aggression or increase it?

I only kept the tank open in the front, the back 2/3 is all plants and a cave for the fish

MacZ

including reddit
Reddit is to avoid to get advise on fish. And if you ever landed on Fishlore... leave as long as you can.

Not even aqadvisor threw any issues up.
That website doesn't include much factors concerning behaviour. Another site to actually avoid.

As mentioned, neither Apisto is even remotely interested in bothering my other fish at the moment, just the big one is bothering the small one.
At the moment. Once they start getting ready to spawn (male present or not), EVERY other fish in the tank will be fair game.

Are both my apistos female? Would that reduce aggression or increase it?
Possible, maybe a bit early to tell for one of them. But female Apistogramma are territorial among each other too. And In that small space you have... stick to one of them and return the other. Maybe even return both and get a single definite male of another Apistogramma species.

apisto_fan

Thank you.

You mentioned to get a male from another species - would that reduce aggression? How would that help?

MacZ

You mentioned to get a male from another species - would that reduce aggression? How would that help?
I meant replacing BOTH Apistos you have right now with ONE male. Those are mostly docile towards other species when kept alone and thus the best option for a display tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The problem with the sites that you list is that the responders are not apisto enthusiasts, but mostly generalist. Apistos are cichlids and behave like most cichlids. They are territorial. If they can see another cichlid in their tank (in your case, based on the photo, the entire tank) they will aggressively defend their territory. If it were my tank I would remove both apistos. The 5 pandas are more than enough bottom dwellers. They and the 8 Endlers are more than enough for a 20H - especially when more Endlers 'pop out of the weeds'.

apisto_fan

Thank you all, unfortunately the problem "solved itself". Before I had the chance to set up quarantine or return one to the fish store, the small Apisto died.
I believe it was sickly and the added stress of the female didn't help. I've read that there's quite a lot of inbreeding with Apistos and that sometimes you can just get a weak one :(
All my other fish and Parameters are fine and even the shrimp are thriving. I hope the female calms down now, she seems like it, as she now looks at the shrimp and just swims away, and I can have a more peaceful tank.

MacZ

Somewhat expected. Leave the remaining one alone, that will guarantee a peaceful tank. Adding another Apistogramma will just cause problems.

apisto_fan

Somewhat expected. Leave the remaining one alone, that will guarantee a peaceful tank. Adding another Apistogramma will just cause problems.
Yes absolutely I'll do that, thank you.
It seems way more peaceful since the other one passed, my apisto is even leaving the shrimp alone now!

Always comes to the glass to say hi as well haha.
I just wanted to confirm as well, is that it's full size or will it still grow more? It looks about 1.5-2 inches to me. It's also def. Apisto cacatuoides? :)

Thank you for all the advice here as well, I wish I would've found this forum sooner!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….