• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a. iniridae tankmates

levine

I am getting 6 of these guys and wanted to get opinions on tank mates. I am going to put them in a 20L with either some Microgeophagus ramirezi or Nanacara aurocephalus. I also have been reading some old posts - this is a great place for apistos and westies!!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I really can't recommend either N. aureocephalus (rather more aggressive than the iniridae) or M. ramirezi (need a higher temperature) as tank mates for A. iniridae. D. filamentosus is a much better tank mate; similar requirements and temperament. Anyway, 6 A. iniridae is about the maximum number of dwarf cichlids to safely keep in a 20L.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I would not try to keep other dwarf Cichlids with A. iniridae.
Just a small school of Nannostomus marginatus, N. eques or some very well quarantined and conditioned Marble Hatchetfish. None of these small Characin species is disposed to spending much time near the bottom and all have small mouths.

If you want some Corydoras too you may try 6 Corydoras pygmeus. They are one of the 3 smallest species of Corydoras and are unlikely to eat fry. Rhinoloricaria parva is a small species of whiptail catfish and could be the resident algae eater. Most of these are not too hard to find for sale except the R. parva. Many Rhinoloricaria species are difficult to tell apart and that is especially true for small specimens. Most any species you find available in a small size would probably work out. They like open ended tubes of PVC pipe or bamboo and they do not try to get inside any caves your Apistogramma would choose unlike any plecos like Bushy Noses.

My personal experience with Apistogramma iniridae is that they do not really thrive unless they are kept in very soft water and a pH between 5.0 and 5.5.
Soft water as in less than 30 ppm TDS. 80*F. They require very clean water and decline quickly if exposed to measurable nitrites and the nitrates should be kept less than 10 ppm. I don't consider them to be particularly easy to keep unless they are provided optimal conditions.
If you can provide them these conditions and mostly live newly hatched brine shrimp and Grindal Worms you will get to see a very impressive Apistogramma. Males grow very large sail-like dorsal fins. Ideally just one tro should be kept but with some creative placement of wood and rock you may be able to create the conditions to allow 2 trios to live together. They are probably wild caught and not very expensive so I would buy more than six. I would get 10-12 so after you lose a few and they have settled down you may be able to pick out 2 trios. House any spares elsewhere or maybe trade or sell them to a friend?

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi,

Larry and Mike have given some valid suggestions and I just wanted to ad:
D. filamentosus ar good mates - yes. They live often with Iniridae, but also (if one wants) cardinal tetras and small pencil fishes, etc.

Have a look at for some Apistogramma mates in the Inirida regions under:
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=444&Itemid=1
and
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=433&Itemid=1

best regards

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
PS: Make sure also to have fine (white) sand on the bottom of your biotope.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Hello Heiko,

I think it is time for you to add to your signature on this forum, simplydiscus and finarama.com, to use fine white quartzite sand.
It applies to all of these fish and particularly to wild Discus, Angelfish, Corydoras and SA dwarf Cichlids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….