• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

will oak leafs help?

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Is it just that throwing leafs of any kind in atank is more for the fry then to help the fish breed. Or do ya'll thank it's ahelp in adding oak leafs o a tank?

Fatts

5 Year Member
I tried to see what different leaves will do to the water. So I took some oak leaves and added them to boiling (tap) water. My PH dropped from 6.6 to 6.4. I tried the same thing with maple (the other most popular tree in Virginia) leaves and the PH when from 6.6 to 6.7. I would definatly stay away from maple.

Someone once told me that you can use any leaf from the family that oaks are in. From my hill-billy knowledge that includes beech and hickory and I think walnut.

I have no experience with those other leaves I just tried oak and maple.

ovj78

5 Year Member
Apistos and many other dwarfs seems to like leaves, and oakleaves lowers the ph and make the water darker...

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
In my experience oak leaves have almost no effect on water chemisty in the amount that I have placed them in my tank (around 25 leaves in a 20 long). I have two reasons for adding oak leaves into my tanks. The first is to give the tanks a more natural appearence, the second is provide cover for the fish. This can be especially helpfull when dealing with aggressive apistos. It provides a lot of areas for them to disappear into. Oaks are in the the family Fagaceae while walnuts are members of Juglandaceae. I am not familiar with beech and hickory.
Trevor

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I added oak leafs yesterday morning and the PH was 7.2. I got up this morning and tested the water and it 7.3 so go figure that . LOL I'll test again later to see what the readings are.

cdawson

5 Year Member
Apisto ranch said:
I added oak leafs yesterday morning and the PH was 7.2. I got up this morning and tested the water and it 7.3 so go figure that . LOL I'll test again later to see what the readings are.

For the leaves to work properly you need to start off with soft water, like RO water, so that you can drop the ph.
IME Oak/Almond leaves in harder alkaline water require alot more leaves to drop the ph. In fact they probably won't do much with that ph.
I used almond leaves (which are supposed to be better than oak leaves), in a planted tank with a ph of 7.0 and about 15 large leaves only dropped the ph to 6.8.
However in tanks without buffer(and our soft BC tap water) even 3-4 large leaves dropped the ph from 6.8 to 5.2 over a course of 3 weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….