• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

White dots on fins of Agassizii

Bob-pistos

Hello again, awaken this morning just to see my male Agassizii having white grains on his fins. Figured it was sand but sand dont have that type of stickiness, is it “Ich” or “Ick”?

Attachments

• E52F94D8-0BC0-4ECE-A51B-C10B800EA2C7.jpeg
    E52F94D8-0BC0-4ECE-A51B-C10B800EA2C7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67

MacZ

Could be Ichthyophthirius, yes. One dot on the caudal seems a bit big, but the rest looks textbook.
You know how to treat this? Because due to the temperatures you mentioned in your other thread you don't have much time. (The warmer the faster it is.)

Bob-pistos

Could be Ichthyophthirius, yes. One dot on the caudal seems a bit big, but the rest looks textbook.
You know how to treat this? Because due to the temperatures you mentioned in your other thread you don't have much time. (The warmer the faster it is.)
So I need to lower the temp to treat it?

MacZ

The temperature speeds up the life cycle of the parasite. Just lowering the temp only slows it down.

You could raise temp to 31°C and dose salt (NaCl, without any additives), but I suspect the strain your fish has is a tropical one, then it won't work.
So you will have to treat with meds. Standard would be Malachite Green.

Look up meds against protozoa with Malachite Green and see what you can get. It should at best be combined with Formaldehyde. Then use as per instructions. Please do not just get Malachite Green by itself. It's not that easy to dose if you don't have the experence.

Bob-pistos

The temperature speeds up the life cycle of the parasite. Just lowering the temp only slows it down.

You could raise temp to 31°C and dose salt (NaCl, without any additives), but I suspect the strain your fish has is a tropical one, then it won't work.
So you will have to treat with meds. Standard would be Malachite Green.

Look up meds against protozoa with Malachite Green and see what you can get. It should at best be combined with Formaldehyde. Then use as per instructions. Please do not just get Malachite Green by itself. It's not that easy to dose if you don't have the experence.
Thank u, will try my best

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….