• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best Cave/Hut for Apistogramma?

Wrothgar

Does anyone know the best Cave/hut to get for Apistogramma breeding? I've found great success with Aquarium Co-op's caves, but their price is too much for needing to buy near a dozen caves. While other seller's like Cobalt aquatics have theirs at a much cheaper price but from what I can gather the entrance is too small for medium to large Apistogramma females such as Macmasteri and Hongsloi. I would use Coconut shells but the problem is most females in my experience dislike spawning in them and their eggs don't seem to stick as well the shells themselves. Does anyone have good experience with their caves or know any other sources or ideas on caves?

apistobob

5 Year Member
Here is part of what I have written about caves in my article on breeding apostogrammas

"The thing about caves is they often matter more to the fishkeeper than they do to the fish. Apistos will accept almost any type of cave and it doesn’t matter what it’s made of. Coconut shells, Terra cotta pots, decorative breeding caves, driftwood with a hollowed-out section, or rocks stacked to form a cave are all readily accepted. So are much less natural things like sections of PVC pipe, 35 mm film canisters, pill bottles, and other small containers. Although I’ve used all sorts of caves over the years, I mostly use small flower pots that I cut in half or break into pieces."

anewbie

I don't like man made caves (coconut shells and ceramic); i prefer a more natural look with drift wood and rocks. Anyway most of the time when i have a cave the fishes ignore them and use some else - i have one sweet little gal using an empty mystery snail shell.

I do have a few 'legacy' coconut shells in a few of my aquariums but when they wear out i won't replace them. i do have one a. lineta who does use her. I think in the last few years of breeding she is the only one to use one.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
... While other seller's like Cobalt aquatics have theirs at a much cheaper price but from what I can gather the entrance is too small for medium to large Apistogramma females such as Macmasteri and Hongsloi.
I'm not familiar with these, but if it really is too small (I've had a look at a photo, but it is difficult to judge size) could you enlarge it with a file? I've used a knife steel successfully with clay pots.
I would use Coconut shells but the problem is most females in my experience dislike spawning in them and their eggs don't seem to stick as well the shells themselves. Does anyone have good experience with their caves or know any other sources or ideas on caves?
Most of my fish have spawned in coconut shell caves. They've all been DIY ones, a coconut cut in half with a fine toothed saw, and then a small notch cut in the rim. I've never looked inside a cave, but there doesn't seem to have been any problems with egg adhesion.

The coconut caves I've seen for sale have had a laughably large circular hole, cut high on the side, and I wouldn't regard them as suitable (and neither do the fish by the sound of it).

The entrance to the cave needs to be at substrate level, so the female can adjust it's size with sand.

Cheers Darrel

AND

Does anyone know the best Cave/hut to get for Apistogramma breeding? I've found great success with Aquarium Co-op's caves, but their price is too much for needing to buy near a dozen caves. While other seller's like Cobalt aquatics have theirs at a much cheaper price but from what I can gather the entrance is too small for medium to large Apistogramma females such as Macmasteri and Hongsloi. I would use Coconut shells but the problem is most females in my experience dislike spawning in them and their eggs don't seem to stick as well the shells themselves. Does anyone have good experience with their caves or know any other sources or ideas on caves?

AND

Have you tried inverted clay pots. Depending on the species, the hole in the bottom (on the top when inverted) may be suitable for entry. If not, it can be carefully increased by chipping with a chisel, or an entry can be made by chipping one on the top rim (on the bottom when inverted) of the pot.

anewbie

Best cave ever:
shell.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….