• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What kind of Dwarf Pair can be kept in a 10 gal?

W

wild-tiger

I am new to the forum and I have been considering a species tank in an empty 10 gallon. I have looked over the site and all I can say is WOW!

Can someone please give me some ideas on a single pair that would be happy in a 10 gal tank, along with what kind of substrate for the species that is being suggested. Most all of my tanks are planted and I would like to plant this one as well, drift wood is no problem either. I just need some suggestions as I'm not certain a 10 gal would make a happy home for any of these guys.

Preferably no kribs as I already a single pair in another species tank which seem to be doing very well together.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Neil

wild-tiger,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

You have quite a long list to choose from. IMO many species can be housed in a 10g. as a a pair. It would be best to choose a species or 2 that you really like and then post again. Some are more likely to give you problems in a 10, but an aweful lot will be OK.

I usually use a thin layer of sand or fine gravel as substrate. It is easiest to keep clean that way. "Planting" in this type of substrate means attaching plants to wood, etc., holding the roots down with rocks or just letting them sit free. That way you can adjust or move things easily for cleaning, fry removal, etc.

A foam filter is probably all that you will need for a tank like this, because water changes will take care of the water quality. Simple and easy is the way I like to go. It seems to work the best for maintaining these fish.

Neil

W

wild-tiger

It would be best to choose a species or 2 that you really like and then post again.

Ok how about a single pair of German Blue Rams, or Apisto Triple or Double red or Inca 50?

These are the fish that appeal to me the most, however I don't want to keep something in a "tiny" tank where they wouldn't be happy.

Suggestions or comments would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks again!

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'Ok how about a single pair of German Blue Rams, or Apisto Triple or Double red or Inca 50? '

i haven't kept inca's but these others would be no problem. i assume you mean double or triple red cacatuoides.

rick

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….