• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking with Panduro pair

BakerJay

Three weeks in and the tank is running smooth. After some of the question marks raised after my initial post I've been testing the water almost daily. No nitrite and as expected seen nitrate rising after water changes. Plants are doing well. Unfortunately my LED light stopped working and I am still waiting for a replacement part to be delivered, hopefully this wont take too long. I have a LED strip installed for sunset and -rise effects, this is now running on in between aswell.

In the mean time I have added a lot more amazon swords in the middle and background and took some amazon frogbit from my other tank. Also the entire background and sides are stuffed with rotalas and other easy plants. I am striving for just a sand foreground with some lilaeopsis.

For now I am keeping the Frogbit on the right side but this will eventually cover both sides of the tank. How do you guys combine frogbit with the filter? My filterhead is near the surface and scatters the floaters all over the place. It is not possible to lower this particular outlet unfortunately, and due to the size of the tank I don't think it's wise to adjust the flowrate of the filter down.

Thirdly bought a big piece of wood for the middle.

IMG20240120210221.jpg

Oh and last but not least, the Panduro are doing great, they have paired off and the female built two caves for herself (Ofcourse ignoring the two caves I left her when setting up the tank :) ). She spent the last two days in her last built cave, I wonder why that is...

I knew the Pseudomugil were notorious jumpers, and this tank having a lid didn't stop them from jumping in the dry chamber and on the glass along the sides of the aquarium. For the time being I've put them in a different tank to prevent any jumping fatalities. They tend to do it near the filterhead which is right next to the dry chamber. Untill I have a lid for the dry chamber they remain in a 60 liter.

Currently reading up on some of the Nanostomus species and will pick up a group as soon as I've made up my mind which it will be. In the past I've kept apistogramma with Ottocinclus, which to my mind has always been a good combination as they never seemed to bother eachother. What do you guys think?

anewbie

Yea i never bother with man made caves these days 'cept for coconut shells; they never use any of the caves i give them but rather find nooks and cranny around driftwood or whatever. One a. honglsoi i had loved using the matten filter where there was an indentation from a tie twist for the jet stream thingy. No matter what i did she always laid her eggs on the matten filter. Now i have krobia xinguensis (they love eating cardinal tetras) using the plastic pre-filter for laying eggs. Gee. wide open in the middle where they have very good vision of them. Waiting to see what happen they are with 14 angelfishes in a 120. These things are monsters in more ways than one.

BakerJay

Yea i never bother with man made caves these days 'cept for coconut shells; they never use any of the caves i give them but rather find nooks and cranny around driftwood or whatever. One a. honglsoi i had loved using the matten filter where there was an indentation from a tie twist for the jet stream thingy. No matter what i did she always laid her eggs on the matten filter. Now i have krobia xinguensis (they love eating cardinal tetras) using the plastic pre-filter for laying eggs. Gee. wide open in the middle where they have very good vision of them. Waiting to see what happen they are with 14 angelfishes in a 120. These things are monsters in more ways than one.
Haha yeah I recognise that, my Xingu had the same tendency, middle of the tank straight behind the front glass on a rock. I added two coconuts in this tank, the Panduro female has been in them once I think and decided to make her own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….