• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is the DATZ book?

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Ok I've been looking for the Cichlid Atlas I or II and no book store here can find it also I've been asking for the DATZ book and nobody sems o know what the hell I'am talking about so whats the full name of the DATZ book and auther of it please please help with finding these two books.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Apisto ranch said:
Ok I've been looking for the Cichlid Atlas I or II and no book store here can find it also I've been asking for the DATZ book and nobody sems o know what the hell I'am talking about so whats the full name of the DATZ book and auther of it please please help with finding these two books.

I remember Mike (Mike Wise) has Datz book.
You may contact him.

Anyhow, please find in the following some information for your reference:

Datz: "Title - South American Dwarf Cichlids"

Its details can be found as follows,

http://www.datz.de/hEIZ2DHAlC1Ql7YN...=410A6D40B3D8D2D699E63E5A3320925B12B9E4181C93

http://www.datz.de/LEIZ2DHAlBnQm7Yp...=410A6D40B3D8D2D699E63E5A3320925B12B9E4181C90

http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=3614

For Uwe Romer's Cichlid Atlas (I,II), you could find its info here:
http://apistogrammaidiots.com/Fishroom/Request/request.html

Fatts

5 Year Member
If you are looking for Dr Romer's Atlas stay away from book stores. Barnes and Noble offered to order it for me for $85!!! I ended up getting it from liveaquaria.com, it was about $40 (plus like $4 for shipping). Both books are really good. I use DATZ for identification and Romer's for information. That is the one thing that is lacking in DATZ, they do not go into depth on water parameters and such.

Here is a link the Atlas: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11444&ref=3532&subref=AH&N=2004+2036

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Now see I went to B/N book store just last night and asked them for South American Dwarf Cichlids And they told and I quote " There's no book by that name are we would beable to find it on this system we have " Then I asked if they could look for Mergus Cichlid atlas again she told me " there's nothing on the market by that title or anything on Uwer Romer are you sure you got the right names "
By this time i was getting a little up set with her treating me like a 2 yr old. So I told her then your system isn't all it's cracked up to be are you'd beable to see this book here. I showed her a pic of the cover of the book.
She again told me there's no book on the market by that name. Now I'm pissed so before I got kicked out of the store I left. I guess ya'll really didn't want to hear all that but I was just upset because I knew I wasn't wrong and the books where real. LOL Ok thanks guys for the links and the titles of the books. I can buy them or look for them on line without the name of them right.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re to post

Hi For the Romers go to liveaquaria I got mine for $38 and for the datz talk to Mike he still has some. I just got mine from bookman on aquabid took almost 60 days to get here from germany.

Curtis

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes I have some of the DATZ books still available. I guess I'm selling them about as cheap as anyone & have some copies on hand right now. I'm not surprised that B&N couldn't find the DATZ pub. Ulmer (the publisher) considers it a "Sonderheft" or "special edition" of the magazine Die Aquarien und Terrarien Zeitschrift (The Aquarium & Terrerraium Magazine). It does have its own ISBN (International Sellers of Books Number), however: 3-8001-0911-5. The DATZ publication was produced as an update to Koslowski's 2002 book "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, Band 2 Apistogramma & Co." The DATZ pub was published to correct some poorly printed pictures in Koslowski's book. This book has a wealth of collecting & and breeding data for more apistos than any other book out there - form collectors all over the world. It was written for the advanced hobbyists & ichthyologists as an overview of the genus (& related dwarf geophagines). Don't expect it to take you by the hand "recipe style" when it comes to keeping & breeding specific apistos. That was not its intent.

The ISBN for Römer's book is 3-88244-056-2. Any book store worth its salt can find either of these books - if they want to. B&N can get you most books published by major American & English publishers, but forget about most books from publishers in other countries. It isn't worth their time & effort. Go to specialty books sellers for these.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike, is that the book by Koslowski that you have working on the translation for?

No it isn't. It has many of the photos (better printed) from his book, but little of the data. It basically up-dates & provides better photos for people who have Koslowski's book. The DATZ book is more like a Baensch Atlas while Koslowski's book is more like Linke & Staeck's or Römer's books, with more accurate IDs & collecting data, but less "how to".

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Mr. Mike Wise:

I´m very interested in getting the DATZ and/or Koslowski translation into english.

I wonder how can I contact you.

Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jose,

I sent you an email from my home address. Please check for a personal email there. For those interested, I will ship this book anywhere. Cost will vary depending on postage costs.

The Koslowski 2002 book is translated. I presently am updating it with new species, A-numbers, etc. I hope to have it ready for printing sometime in late March. I'll let the forum know when it is available.

Mike Wise

inexorable

5 Year Member
DATZ book

Hello all. I just purchased the DATZ book from Mike. It arrived today. Wow. Send Mike a check. Get this book. I also own Linke & Staek, the Romer Cichlid Atlas, the Aqualog South American Cichlids II, and the Aqualog Latest Apistogramma update. If you're an Apistophile, they're all worthwhile books. The DATZ book is a must-have though. It has great photos. I really enjoyed the photos and discussion in the beginning about the habitats of Apistos. There is a very good section on practical aquarium husbandry. Then there is an illuminating section where the organization of the many A. species into complexes is discussed. Maybe the coolest part of the whole book is how the authors have coded all the confusing common names of all the various described and undescribed species into A-numbers, exactly the same way all the suckermouth catfish were assigned L-numbers a few years back. Their idea to arrange the similarly morphed species adjacent to each other so hobbyists wouldn't have to flip back and forth through the book trying to differentiate between species with similar appearance is brilliant. It would be really awesome if this A-number convention catches on into common use. Thank you again Mike.
Snap one up before the supply runs out, or you'll be kicking yourself = )
By the way, the Cichlid Atlas by Romer is must-have too, if you don't own that one.

Dave

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Jose,

I sent you an email from my home address. Please check for a personal email there. For those interested, I will ship this book anywhere. Cost will vary depending on postage costs.

The Koslowski 2002 book is translated. I presently am updating it with new species, A-numbers, etc. I hope to have it ready for printing sometime in late March. I'll let the forum know when it is available.

Mike Wise

Great!! I am looking forward to it, thanks Mike :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Yes, i also strongly agree that Datz is a very good book :)
For Uwe's Cichlid Atlas, i am very much eager to see Vol. 2...

inexorable said:
Hello all. I just purchased the DATZ book from Mike. It arrived today. Wow. Send Mike a check. Get this book. I also own Linke & Staek, the Romer Cichlid Atlas, the Aqualog South American Cichlids II, and the Aqualog Latest Apistogramma update. If you're an Apistophile, they're all worthwhile books. The DATZ book is a must-have though. It has great photos. I really enjoyed the photos and discussion in the beginning about the habitats of Apistos. There is a very good section on practical aquarium husbandry. Then there is an illuminating section where the organization of the many A. species into complexes is discussed. Maybe the coolest part of the whole book is how the authors have coded all the confusing common names of all the various described and undescribed species into A-numbers, exactly the same way all the suckermouth catfish were assigned L-numbers a few years back. Their idea to arrange the similarly morphed species adjacent to each other so hobbyists wouldn't have to flip back and forth through the book trying to differentiate between species with similar appearance is brilliant. It would be really awesome if this A-number convention catches on into common use. Thank you again Mike.
Snap one up before the supply runs out, or you'll be kicking yourself = )
By the way, the Cichlid Atlas by Romer is must-have too, if you don't own that one.

Dave

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Uwe wrote me last night that most of the Vol. 2 manuscript has already been translated into English. He hopes to have it finished soon. Then comes editing, proofreading (Hey, David are you going to be locked in a room again? :wink:), & publishing. I hope it is out by the time he comes to the USA for the ACA convention in July.

zmirek

5 Year Member
Hi Mike
Mike Wise said:
I know that many of us are waiting for anup-date reg. your translation of Koslowski's book. Do you have any good news to share with us?

This year seems to be excellent in terms of getting new books reg. dwarfs - Uwe's CA2 and your am translation will made us fed-up of informations for really long time.

H

hotrowe

DATZ Book

Hi,
I'm an Apisto lover from Down Under. I would love to buy a copy of the Datz book and Uwe's Atlas II. I have ATlasI . Mayland and Bork, Aqualog SA Cichlids II, Aqualog Extra The Newest Apistogrammas, Koslowski's first book and Mike's English translation, Schmettkamp's book and Mike's translation and Staeck and Linke in German. I would also like the English translation of Staeck and Linke and the Japanese Apisto book. Can anyone help me?:wink: :)
many thanks hotrowe.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Grahame,

I can help you with the DATZ book. I can ship one out to you via air mail next week. Which Linke & Staeck book do you have? I might be able to help you. I doubt that Uwe's Cichlid Aquarium 2 will be out before Interzoo, in May (I think), but he is getting the manuscript close to finished now. The publication of the translation of Koslowski's new book is on hold until I finish another translation project, but that one is almost done (I hope!). Once it is finished, it will take about a month before I have the Koslowski translation available. If you are talking about the Yamazaki et al. (1997) book, well I am still trying to get my daughter to translate parts (she is in her 4th year of high school Japanese). She is rather hesitant - too many other things going on, like getting ready for college next fall. I guess I can still try. I will PM you soon.

For those who don't know, this gentleman (if you are allowed to call an Aussie a gentleman) is the person who encouraged me to stay with dwarf cichlids back in the late 70s (are we really that old??). I don't know whether to thank him or damn him!:biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….