• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Use of Araogonite with Kribs

frankiewanky

5 Year Member
Hi:
New to the cichlid world. I was wondering if the use of aragonite as a substrate would not be a good idea in a tank housing kribs. I just acquired a pair of kribs. They are now in a heavily planted tank with normal gravel as a substrate.
I was told that kribs need soft ph water nad that aragonite would be better suited for salt water tanks

Thanks for any advice !
Frank in Ottawa

viejo

5 Year Member
You were told right. Especially if you intent to breed your kribs & would like proportionate numbers of both sexes .. In any case, for fishes from softer water, forget the calcium/magnesium based substrate...

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My favorite substrate for kribs is a 4:1 ratio of silica sand : fine dark gravel (I use size 30 red flint). The fish love to sift sand and the gravel keeps it from compacting and darkens the white sand enough.

Andre

5 Year Member
The water from my taps is very soft, so I like to add a small hand full of aragonite or crushed coral to most of my tanks to keep the pH stable. As the pH drops due to nitrifications processes etc, the aragonite slowly dissolves and keeps things stable.

This works especially well in tanks with a higher stocking density and allows me to wait a bit longer between water changes and not worry about the pH bottoming out on 4 or less.

I would not use it as a substrate for kribs though. If you have some aragonite lying around you should maybe concider setting up a shelldweller tank. They are definitely worth it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….