• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sunken face

EuJin

5 Year Member
Hi, I have a baenschi male with a sunken face and sunken belly, its been 10 days since I isolated him in a 30 litre tank. I have used levamisol and it does not seem like its a camallanus problem. He has difficulty swimming above gravel and sometimes lay on his side with breathing more difficult than usual. However, he still struggles to get food when given, but because its pretty advanced, he is thin in the body, could it be swimm bladder or something else? Anyone? Never encountered a disease like this before in my 5 years of apistoing.

Rgds
Andre

fishgeek

how old is the fish?

is sounds fairly emaciated and if still eating would make me think(extrapolating from mammals now) that either poor absorbtion across the intestine .. noticed any change in faecal qality?

or that poor assimilation once into fish ie liver not utilising food and turning it back into fish

or increased metabolism by disease or catabolism ie as seen with cancer

any other clinical signs
i would worry about chronic tb so isolate this fish

andrew

EuJin

5 Year Member
Thanks for the possible scenarios with this juvenile, probably a year old - its 1 half inch long, we'll see how well he gets as the days go by, have been giving him a chance to recover by himself in a 1 foot cube(isolated) from an aggressive female, but think I might end his sufffering if the situation doesn't improve in 2 weeks.

andre

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….