• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Earlier this year, a fish-buddy of mine Rick rescued an unidentified West African cichlid from a batch of Jewels.
She was a bit ropey due to the attentions of the Jewels. He offered her to me as I like the weird ones especially West Africans.
She turned out to be Pelmatochromis nigrofaciatus. Anyway, after giving up looking for a mate I found a picture of one in a UK magazine
I tracked them down and picked up a male a week or two before Christmas, I've just got back today after a week away to find wrigglers in a pot!!

The rescued female is on the left...
100_3536.jpg

Here's the fry:
100_3537edit.jpg

Anyone else keeping these or kept them in the past?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've got some. Started out with 2 wild fish and ended up with several hundered (possibly thousand) fry over a year or two. I now have just a few F1 adults left. Hopefully there is a female still in the mix. If not I'll have to pull one out of a tank that I take care of.

They are nice fish but a little to prolific! There just isn't any way for me to raise all the fry or find homes for them. The fry make a good feeder fish for some dwarf pike cichlids I have though.

Glad you were able to rescue the female AND find her a mate. Enjoy the fish. They are wonderful parents and have all the traits that make cichlids great aquarium fish!

And your female looks to have a lot of red to her belly. More then I've seen or at least noticed on mine. Very nice.

Jeff

Lenny Llambi

5 Year Member
You know I've had a little trouble with mine. They're about a year and a half old, and I cannot get wrigglers out of the eggs. I have twp pairs, and I'm not sure if my parents are just slow learners, or if I am really unlucky and bought an entire batch of infertile fish. Anyways, they're still not full-grown, so I hope they'll catch on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….